Clare
Clare, Solicitor
Experience:  25 years hight street experience
13262538

Hi! I am hoping to relocate to the UK permanently to be with

Customer Question

Hi! I am hoping to relocate to the UK permanently to be with my partner. We are a same sex couple who have been together for 4+ years now. I have gotten bits and pieces of information but would very much appreciate step by step what I need to do.
Can we have a civil partnership while I am in the UK, having entered on a visitor entry? I am wondering if we get married in the US, which is legal in my home state, would it count as legal for me to enter as her spouse and simply apply for leave to remain?
She is not currently working although does have a house, so I am concerned that this would negatively impact us. How much financial information will we be asked to provide? THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question. Please remember to click ACCEPT once you get my answer.

Yes you can get married when you enter the uk.

But that does not mean you are automatically entitled to a visa.

You would have to apply and it would be considered on it's own merits,

Please remember to click accept so that I am credited for my time. Thank you.
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Hi
You have fur options.
You can marry in the US and apply for a spouse visa before you come to the UK.
You can come to the UK on a visitors Visa then return home and apply for a spouse visa.
You can come to the UK on a visa which is not a visitors visa but which allows you to be here for more than 6 months get married and apply for a spouse visa here in the UK
You can apply for a fiance visa come to the UK get married and then apply for leave to remain as a spouse
You can find all the information that you need here
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/partners-families/citizens-settled/spouse-cp/
You must be able to show that you can support yourself whilst you are here without your partner requiring any extra help from the state
Claire
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and thank you.So is it considered all right for us to have a civil union here whilst I am here on a regular, tourist entry? I do not want to do this wrong! (smile)
Also, what paperwork and questions will be asked? It is the financial questions that we were told to be aware of....Please verify. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello again,
When you said" I need to show that I can support myself while here without my partner needing any extra help from the state"....would I be allowed to work? How much income must be demonstrated to make this so? How do I go about geting a visa tht allows me to stay longer than 6 months...what criteria must be met?
THANK YOU so much!

Also...would our marriage in the US in the US states where it is legal be enough to allow me to apply for a spouse visa? Thank you..the web site has felt contradictory and a bit difficult for me to understand!
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Hi
You can certainly go through the ceremony - but you will then have to return to the States and apply for the Spouse Visa
As a spouse you are indeed allowed to work
Your marriage in the states is fully recognised over here
So far as income is concerned that is a matter of the needs of the pair of you - and what income your partner has.
Other than a tourist visa you could apply for a student visa if appropriate
Claire
Clare, Solicitor
Experience: 25 years hight street experience