How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Clare Your Own Question

Clare, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 31666
Experience:  25 years hight street experience
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Clare is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi! I am hoping to relocate to the UK permanently to be with

Customer Question

Hi! I am hoping to relocate to the UK permanently to be with my partner. We are a same sex couple who have been together for 4+ years now. I have gotten bits and pieces of information but would very much appreciate step by step what I need to do.
Can we have a civil partnership while I am in the UK, having entered on a visitor entry? I am wondering if we get married in the US, which is legal in my home state, would it count as legal for me to enter as her spouse and simply apply for leave to remain?
She is not currently working although does have a house, so I am concerned that this would negatively impact us. How much financial information will we be asked to provide? THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your question. Please remember to click ACCEPT once you get my answer.

Yes you can get married when you enter the uk.

But that does not mean you are automatically entitled to a visa.

You would have to apply and it would be considered on it's own merits,

Please remember to click accept so that I am credited for my time. Thank you.
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
You have fur options.
You can marry in the US and apply for a spouse visa before you come to the UK.
You can come to the UK on a visitors Visa then return home and apply for a spouse visa.
You can come to the UK on a visa which is not a visitors visa but which allows you to be here for more than 6 months get married and apply for a spouse visa here in the UK
You can apply for a fiance visa come to the UK get married and then apply for leave to remain as a spouse
You can find all the information that you need here
You must be able to show that you can support yourself whilst you are here without your partner requiring any extra help from the state
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and thank you.So is it considered all right for us to have a civil union here whilst I am here on a regular, tourist entry? I do not want to do this wrong! (smile)
Also, what paperwork and questions will be asked? It is the financial questions that we were told to be aware of....Please verify. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello again,
When you said" I need to show that I can support myself while here without my partner needing any extra help from the state"....would I be allowed to work? How much income must be demonstrated to make this so? How do I go about geting a visa tht allows me to stay longer than 6 months...what criteria must be met?
THANK YOU so much!

Also...would our marriage in the US in the US states where it is legal be enough to allow me to apply for a spouse visa? Thank you..the web site has felt contradictory and a bit difficult for me to understand!
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
You can certainly go through the ceremony - but you will then have to return to the States and apply for the Spouse Visa
As a spouse you are indeed allowed to work
Your marriage in the states is fully recognised over here
So far as income is concerned that is a matter of the needs of the pair of you - and what income your partner has.
Other than a tourist visa you could apply for a student visa if appropriate
Clare, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 31666
Experience: 25 years hight street experience
Clare and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.
  • John Knox's Avatar

    John Knox


    Satisfied Customers:

    solicitor with 8 years experience