How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7408
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi. Im looking for options to immigrate to the UK. Im an

Resolved Question:

Hi. I'm looking for options to immigrate to the UK. I'm an American and I've been in the UK for three months, and I want to stay. As far as I can tell, my options are to get married, find an employer to sponsor me for a visa, or get a student visa. I want to know what's involved in each of these, and any other options I'm overlooking.

Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.


Thanks for your question.

To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-

  • 1. Which do you wish to do, work or study?
  • 2. Are you in a relationship with anyone, if so what nationality

Kind regards.


Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi. Thanks for your response.

I'm in a relationship with a UK citizen. I'm an editor and writer, and I'd like to start a publishing company although I'm not sure about how I can legally work here.

I'm thinking about trying to get a job with a company that would be able to sponsor me. The research I've done suggests that I would need to return to the states and return under either a fiance visa or a work visa. I don't really want to get another degree: I have a BA already.

But what if I were to get married while I was here and then apply for a spousal visa?

Thanks! xxx
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Are you here on a visitor's visa?

Is marriage a realistic possibility or would you prefer not to rush it if it meant securing a visa by other means?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'm here on a vistor's visa, yes. If I could secure a visa by means other than marriage I'm happy to do that, but I'm also trying to be realistic. Marriage is a strong possibility but we're still talking about it.

I want to stay in the UK because I'm putting together a life here, and I don't want to have to go back to the states and start again, and have to wait for six months before I can come back again as a tourist.


Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

It is a condition of your visitor’s visa that you should leave before the expiry date of the visa. This means that you must not apply to switch in to any other category of visa. The UKBA are very, very strict on this so I’m afraid that you will have to reconcile yourself with the fact that you will have to return to the states for a short time.

If you wish to work full time and do not have access to considerable funds for investment in the UK then your only option is to find an employer that is willing to employ and to apply and become your sponsor for the purpose of a Tier 2 Sponsored Skilled Workers Visa.

You will have to see if there is a job that you could do in the UK on the shortage occupation list:-

You would have to then secure a job offer from a UK employer who is or would become a licensed sponsor of skilled migrants:-

If your job is not on this list then this means that your employer would have to apply to become a licensed sponsor of skilled migrants and also confirm to the UKBA that they have carried out a the Resident Labour Market Test. This test is effectively to show that their are no resident/eea national in the locality that can perform your role, though this might be difficult if there are other accounts officers who could do the role.

If they are willing to sponsor then you will also have to meet the requisite number of points under the Tier 2 points based system:-

You will see at the top right hand side there is an option to use their calculator to work out how many points you are eligible for. You should check this now because if you do not meet the required number of points then you will not be eligible to apply.

There is lots of information on Tier 2 Sponsored Skilled Workers visas here:-

Were you to apply on the basis of a student visa then you would not be permitted to work in excess of 20 hours a week and therefore I assume this to be unsatisfactory.

If you don’t have enough points or cannot find a job/sponsor then your only option would be to apply on the basis of your marriage. If you marry here in the UK whilst you are on your visitor’s visa then this would be a technical breach because you should have applied for a Marriage Visitor’s visa, it’s a special category of visitor’s visa. Were you to do this it could cause problems for your spouse visa application.

In this event, you can either return to the US with your fiancé, marry there and then apply directly for a spouses visa OR you can apply in the US for fiancé visa so that you can come to the UK to marry and switch to a spouse visa within 6 months of the date of the grant of fiancé visa.

The best thing you could do is to instruct a UK immigration solicitor to prepare your application once you have determined what visa you are to apply for.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

Kind regards,

Thomas, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 7408
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.