Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor

Hi, I have a Thai girlfriend that is in the UK on a work visa,

Hi, I have a Thai girlfriend that is in the UK on a work visa, she lives with her mother who is a British national, her father is Thai and has passed away. She was suppose to leave Hearthrow Airport last night for a three months holiday with me in Perth Western Australia. I received an email from her this morning, stating they (presumably "THEY" meaning the British Immigration Aurthorities) do not allow her to board the aircraft because she did not have the Basic Travel Allowance of 3000 pounds with her. She is asking me to assist her with this amount, stating the funds are returnable as soon as she arrives here at Perth Airport. Is there such an Immigration Law?, If so what is the Law Reference No.? Or is she trying to take me down, with this BTA scam I've heard about. I would to print this out with your answer so as to email it to her. Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX
I assume that you met this Thai girlfriend over the internet? The British immigration authorities do not prevent foreign nationals from leaving the country. the airline may refuse boarding to a passenger who does not have the right visa but there is no such thing as a Basic Travel Allowance. This is a common internet scam I am afraid.