INC
INC, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

I am a UK Citizen and married to a Filipino and we live in

I am a UK Citizen and married to a Filipino and we live in the UK. My wife and I plan to travel and stay on vacation in the Philippines for approx 1 month and I am aware of the Balikbayan Privilege which allows a foreigner spouse entering Philippines with their spouse to stay for a year without a Entry Visa.

My question is, I know Airlines expect you to checkin with the necessary visas, will they acknowledge this as acceptable to check in and board the flight given we won't have a valid visa for beyond 21days stay at the point of check in?

Thanks
Colin
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  INC replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

Airlines are not trained in Immigration Law and would generally not allow you to board unless you have the appropriate Visa for the duration of your stay.

If you are not travelling for a few weeks, it may be worth contacting the Filipino Embassy in the UK and requesting written confirmation. This may assist you if questioned by Immigration Officers or Airline Staff.

The only alternative is to explain the rule to the staff if questioned at the time you travel.

I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly click accept.

If you wish to discuss, please feel free to ask further questions.

Kind regards,