Awan-Legal
Awan-Legal, Solicitor
Experience:  Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.
60469748

hello, i am an international student in london. i just completed

hello,
i am an international student in london. i just completed my bachelor's degree course successfully in september 2011 and still waiting for my degree certificate. but my student visa expired on 31 october. i wanted to apply for PSW visa. once the university issues the necessary documents will my application for PSW be accepted ?
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Awan-Legal replied 2 years ago.

Awan-Legal : Hi
Awan-Legal : The post study worker rules dictate that you must have held a visa during your period of study so you are fine in this respect. To apply for a psw you do not have to have a current visa although your last visa must have been either a tier 4 or student visa. You should also be ok in this respect and so long as you have completed your course and have the degree awarded which you will have by the time you apply. Your application should therefore be accepted provided you meet all the criteria listed in the link below:
Awan-Legal : http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/working/tier1/poststudy/applying/
Awan-Legal : This also lists all the documents and requirements for applying.
Awan-Legal : Any time spent in the UK on a post study worker (psw) visa will not count towards your residence in the UK for purposes of settlement in the future - the gap between your visa expiring and the psw visa being granted may also be an issue potentially in the future if applying for settlement. The expired visa will not prevent your psw being accepted though so long as you meet all the law criteria.
Awan-Legal : I hope that answers your question. Please click accept on my answer and thank you for submitting our question. I am happy to answer any follow up questions that you may have.
Customer:

hi,

Customer:

do you think that the home office will require me to provide a letter from the university explaining the delay in issuing the degree certificate ?

Customer:

also, can i show the bank ( the bank that's in the home country ) statement of someone i know from my home country. and would i have to provide an affidavit of that person or something of that sort showing that he is willingly sponsoring me ?

Awan-Legal :

Hi

Awan-Legal :

Sorry for delayed reply.. your chat response was not showing up

Awan-Legal :

It is not necessary to have the letter from the university but if you are able to get this, then it would help in explaining the gap and for any future application.

Awan-Legal :

You can show a bank statement from your country of origin but this is limited to your parents (only you and your parents can provide bank statements showing funds available under the rules). If so, your parents will have to provide a letter in support also.

Awan-Legal :

another option is for somebody else to transfer the funds into your account as this can be accepted under the points based system but for the PSW these need to be in your account for 90 days before the application is submitted.

Awan-Legal :

I hope that answers your further questions also. Please click accept on my answers. Thank you.

Customer:

just one last question. once on psw would i be able to undertake any full-time study on a short-term basis if i find it necessary for furthur development of my career ? what are the rules for that ? thank you.

Awan-Legal : That's ok. There should be no restriction on this if it is a short course. Please click accept on my answer. Thanks.
Awan-Legal, Solicitor
Experience: Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.