Clare, Solicitor
Experience:  25 years hight street experience

hello pls i wanted to find out if it was possible as an overstayer

Customer Question

hello pls i wanted to find out if it was possible as an overstayer to get married in the uk without problems. because i have a spanish girlfriend i have been with for 3 years now and we are ready to get married
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your question. Please remember to click ACCEPT once you get my answer.

I am sorry to say no.

You will need a marriage licence.

In order to get a licence you will need to satisfy the officer that you are entitled to be in this country.

As you are an overstayer then you can not meet this criteria and as such it will be refused.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you were looking for but based on what you have said it is the legal position

Please remember to click accept, thank you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok but i have gone for the document check at a registry and i was granted a date to get married because they said the certificate of approval has been scrapped but i dont know if it is a set up that is why i am asking pls can you help me out i am soo confused
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
The certificate of approval has indeed been scrapped and you are free to marry should you wish