Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

I AM A BRITISH SUBJECT NOT OF ENGLISH ORIGIN(MALTESE/GREEK)

I AM A BRITISH SUBJECT NOT OF ENGLISH ORIGIN(MALTESE/GREEK) BORN IN KHARTOUM(SUDAN-IN 1949)-MOVED TO A BOARDING SCHOOL IN 1964 IN SOUTHWICK(SUSSEX) AND STUDIED/WORKED UP NORTH(WAKEFIELD-YORKS) UNTIL 1974-I EVEN HAD A SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER,THEN. SINCE THEN I WORKED IN VARIOUS COUNTRIES EARNED AND SAVED=PRESENTLY LIVING IN ATHENS(GREECE).
THE QUESTION IS, THAT I WANT TO MOVE BACK TO ENGLAND FOR MY RETIREMENT/OLD AGE AND BRING ALL MY SAVINGS(I WILL NOT BE AN ECONOMICAL BURDEN TO ANYONE) PERHAPS INVEST IN A PROPERTY OR SO. ARE THERE ANY DIFFICULTIES REGARDING IMMIGRATION LAWS? TO OPEN A BANK ACCOUNT MUST i BE A RESIDENT FIRST IN THE U.K.?

Hi

Thanks for your question.

To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-

• 1. What passport(s) do you hold?

Kind regards.

Tom

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
BRITISH PASSPORT SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

Would you have sufficient funds in your foreign accounts to enable you to live here for a few months before opening a UK bank account?

Tom

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
YES. ABSOLUTELY.

Thanks for reply.

If you have a valid UK passport then you have the same rights of entry and residence as any other UK national holding a passport. You can therefore enter the UK without restriction subject to the validity of your passport (ie. That it has not expired).

In terms of opening a UK bank account you will have to produce evidence of your identity (photographically - so your passport) but you will also have to show proof of your address. So, provided you can fund living in a property in the UK for (roughly) 3 months you will then be able to open a bank account.

Subject to the above though you will be fine. If you are instructing a solicitor to buy your house for you on your behalf before you come back then they will be able to guide you through it.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

DEAR MR.T.GRAHAM THANK YOU FOR YOUR EFFORT IN TRYING TO GET ME AN ANSWER. I HAVE SOME PROPERTIES TO SELL IN ATHENS-DUE TO THE GREEK CRISIS I AM FACING PROBLEMS IN SELLING. AS SOON AS I AM IN A POSITION TO DO SO, LIMITING THE LOSSES DUE TO THIS CRISIS, ONLY THEN, I WILL MOVE TO THE UK. FOLLOWING YOUR ADVICE THAT YOU SO PROFESSIONALLY PROVIDED ME WITH. THANK YOU SO MUCH. XENOPHON(MY NAME)

Hi Xenophon

Thanks for you accept

Tom