Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
18726264

Hello I am a UK citizen who lives in the USA and is about to

Customer Question

Hello I am a UK citizen who lives in the USA and is about to become a USA citizen. I plan to move back to the UK. I plan to have two passports and enter the UK with my UK passport. I understnad I will have to file US taxes each year but would like to know what else is involved being a US and UK citizen living in the UK. Transferring money etc
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 2 years ago.
Having dual citizenship has no implications so far as the UK is concerned. As you say you are subject to US tax and you will also have to comply with US law as it affects it's citizens but that is unlikely to conflict with UK law except possibly in the unlikely event of war between the two countries. you cannot take a foreign government appointment in another country as a US citizen or you can be stripped of your citizenship - that does not as I understand mean all public sector jobs but only those such as government ministries. You would need to check with the US authorities on that. You also have to travel into the US on your US passport but otherwise I am not aware of anything.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks for the answer I appreciate it,

Can you just let me know If I would have to pay more tax having to pay UK tax and additionally "reporting" my taxes to the USA. Is it just a paperwork exercise or will I have to pay extra?

Do you know if there are any limits on taking cash out of the USA? I have house worth about $350,000, I may have to sell, and about $200,000 in a 401K and IRA pension style fund?

You get some relief for tax paid in the UK and in fact there are more allowances etc against tax in the US than there are in the UK. There are accountancy firms that specialise in doing these sort of returns and it may be a good idea to get it someone to do it for you.

I do not believe there are exchange controls on the export of dollars and you can transfer them to a UK based account. I would check with your bank but generally I think they are freely transferrable to the UK.
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience: Solicitor
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello again,

I thought I had sent a follow up question earlier but can't find a record of it.

I would finally really like to know how I might enter and stay in the UK bearing in mind I have to leave the US on my US passport and I am supposed to enter the UK also on my US passport. Won't I have a six month limit on my UK stay or something similar along those lines. I am not sure how I might be able to stay in the UK when entering on a US passport even though I have a US and a UK passport.

Can you help please?

THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Wonderfull, just thought of hopefully one more thing, If we bring a lot of our US things back to the UK will we have to pay some sort of customs tax on them?
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!