Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

my wife has a legalized marriage certificate.does she need

my wife has a legalized marriage certificate.does she need any other documents to prove she is married to me, a resident of spain, my wife is cuban.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.

Hi

Thanks for your question.

To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-

• 1. For what purpose are you asking this question?
  • 2. Does it relate to an immigration application
  • 3. What language is the certificate in

Kind regards.

Tom

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1. visa to spain from cuba.was told that we needed a receit from the records in england concerning our marriage certificate.
2.only a visitor visa was sort.
3.the original certificate is in spanish.
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.

Where did you actually marry?

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hello tom, we were married in Havana, cuba, 6th of june, 2003.
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.

So do either of you have any connection at all with the UK?

Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i neil worthington am a british citizen. with 3 british citizen children.
all my family are british apart from my cuban wife.
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.

Hi Neil,

Thanks again. One more quesition - is this a visitor's visa application for your wife for Spain or UK?

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
for the uk.
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.

Hi Neil,

Thanks for your reply.

I have just been called in to a meeting. I will be able to answer in an hour.

Sorry again for the protracted nature of this exchange.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no worries, we've got to go out for a bit now!
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.

Hi Neil,

Thanks for your reply.

I am at a bit of a loss to explain why the UKBA are asking for a form of documentation provided in the UK. If you married outside the UK in Cuba and received a marriage certificate then this is legal proof of your marriage.

Persons need not marry again in the UK in order for a marriage to be binding here. If the marriage certificate has been notarised then this should absolutely be sufficient for the purposes of a visa application. The only thing I can think of is if it is not in English and has not been translated. If this is the case then you should contact the UKBA for a list of their approved translator companies and attend to the translation and submit both with the application.

I would submit it with the application and a covering letter explaining that you married in Cuba and did not have a marriage ceremony in the UK but that in any event the Cuban marriage is binding all the same. The crucial criteria with visitor's visa application is to prove that the stay is only temporary and that the visitor has access to sufficient funds and accommodation such that they would not need to access public funds. Provided she meets this criteria I would be very surprised if the application was not approved.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Tom

Thomas, Solicitor
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor