Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

Hello, My friend is Polish and has been living and working

My friend is Polish and has been living and working in UK since 2004. Also, she has been married to an english person since 2009. Is she eligible for British Passport? If so, how does she need to go about it?

Your help is much appreciated.
Stephanie Kourobetsi.

Thanks for your question.

She is not yet eligible for a UK passport. She must first apply for Permanent Residence to confirm that she is free of immigration time restrictions (that applies even though she has EEA rights). She can apply for PR providing she has not spent significant time outside the UK during the previous 5 years.

Details of how to apply here:-

Once she has held PR for 12 months she can apply to be naturalised as a UK citizen provided she meets the eligibility criteria on the following page:-

It does not make a difference that she is married to a UK national.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,