How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7567
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, My friend is Polish and has been living and working

This answer was rated:


My friend is Polish and has been living and working in UK since 2004. Also, she has been married to an english person since 2009. Is she eligible for British Passport? If so, how does she need to go about it?

Your help is much appreciated.
Stephanie Kourobetsi.




Thanks for your question.


She is not yet eligible for a UK passport. She must first apply for Permanent Residence to confirm that she is free of immigration time restrictions (that applies even though she has EEA rights). She can apply for PR providing she has not spent significant time outside the UK during the previous 5 years.

Details of how to apply here:-


Once she has held PR for 12 months she can apply to be naturalised as a UK citizen provided she meets the eligibility criteria on the following page:-


It does not make a difference that she is married to a UK national.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.


I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions