Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
18726264

I would like to work for British gas (they require I have a

I would like to work for British gas (they require I have a work permit) for three months. I worked previously on their project for 6 months, but at the time I was working for an agency I am no onger with. I am now independent. How can I go about this? The dates will be Nov 25 - Feb 14 and I will be staying for 4 weeks at a time with a break between holidays.
Can you explain your circumstances a bit more. Where are you resident? What is your UK immigration status? Where will you be based?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am a US citizen and I will be staying in a local hotel in Reading as I did before and taking the train to the office. The last time I worked for British Gas in UK I was not required ot have a work permit - just a passport - the difference was I was being paid by the agency not BG directly. I worked in UK Aug 2010 - Feb 2011 Now they want me to wrap up some reports that I once worked on and help train their people. The project ends mid-Februrary.
If you are going to be employed by British Gas then strictly speaking you need a work permit. It is possible you might get away with coming as a business visitor but if you are actually employed by them then you ought to have a work permit. The problem under the current rules is that the appropriate category is tier 2 general which is subject to a quota unless your annual remuneration is in excess of £150k . British Gas will have to sponsor you - the rules are to be found here.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/working/tier2/general/