Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

Dear Sir/Madam, I am a Turkish citizen working for a British

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am a Turkish citizen working for a British Company as Project Manager for their overseas projects as expatriate.

Working as an expatriate, is there a chance I can get a permanent residence or passport using my employment contract?

Thanks in advance
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-

• 1. What period of residence have you recently had (if any) in the UK

Kind regards.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Tom,

I only obtained a C-Type Business multiple entry visa for 2 years for business purpose visits, I came to UK three times and stayed not more than 3 days each time. Espiry of it is 20/10/2012. That must be a total of 6-7 days during the last 1 year.

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Hi Akram,

Thanks for your question.

I'm very sorry but you do not qualify to apply for indefinite leave to remain (ie. Permanent residence) or for naturalisation as a UK citizen.

IN order to apply for naturalisation a person must first hold indefinite leave to remain. In order to apply for indefinite leave to remain you must have a significant period of residence in the UK after having entered on a visa which permits application for indefinite leave to remain to be made.

Muilt-entry business visitor visas do not allow those holding them to apply for ILR regardless of the time spent in the UK I'm afraid.

Your employment contract with a British contract does not change the fact that a period of residence is required.

If your ultimate aim is to obtain ILR then you will have to come here and work under one of the worker categories and complete a period of residence here (usually 5 years):-

I am very sorry it could not be better news.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,