Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

Both my parents were born in the UK. One is now dead, the currently

Customer Question

Both my parents were born in the UK. One is now dead, the currently resides there. They were married in Zambia and I have a church certificate. Why do I keep having all these problems getting my UK pass port?

Thanks!
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.
Hi

Thanks for your question.

Where were you born?

When were you born?

Kind regards

Tom
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was born in Canada in 1967. At the time my parents were not Canadian citizens, they were both UK Citizens only.

Thanks!

Dawn
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks!

Dawn

My father currently resides in the UK and holds both a Canadian and UK pass port.
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.
Hi Dawn

Have you previously held a UK passport?

Has your application been rejected? What further information is required?

Kind regards,

Tom
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.
Are you able to respond to my previous post please and I shall then provide an answer for you.

Kind regards.

Tom
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi there,

I have been rejected, they want my mother to sign a form along with my father (Odd since they know she is dead) and they want their marriage certificate, which they have from zambia, it is a church certificate and for some reason they don't seem to understand this?
I am at my wits end over it...
On top of all of this I have sent all of my documents to them in May, and have not received a passport or the original documents back, nor has anyone responded to my emails from the Washington DC UK Consulate that I was to send all the information too!!
Should I file something with the Canadian RCMP as potential identity theft?
Thanks!
Dawn
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Hi Dawn,

I will be able to answer in an hour or so.

Kind regards,

Tom

Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your reply.

Firstly, you are entitled to UK citizenship (and a passport) on the facts as you have communicated them to me as your mother and father were married to eachother and had full UK citizenship by birth and not by descent. The question seems to be over satisfying their evidential requirements.

This is all quite confusing. I would start by writing a formal complaint to them regarding the handling of the application. If they have asked for your late mother’s signature then this is good grounds for a complaint and, I should think, would immediately get their attention. You should use a emboldened large letter heading before your salutation (eg. Dear sirs) which reads “COMPLAINT”.

Outline the chronology of the application and state the specific incidences where you consider their attention has been poor or slow and where they have asked a requisition of you (ie. a question) show that you have answered it. If you have a registered marriage certificate from Zambia then this should be sufficient for their purposes. The only thing I can think of is if the certificate is in Zambian and requires translating but presumably they would have specifically asked for this.

You should state at the end of it that you require their absolute confirmation of any remaining requisitions (subject to your returning the form that you father will sign) so that you can settle the issue.

The length of time they have taken on this is long, though I have heard of others and I Should think that this coupled with their request for your mother’s signature will get their urgent attention. As I say though, on the facts you are entitled to a UK passport so the issue is purely satisfying their evidential requirements and I should think the one remaining issue will be precisely why they are not accepting the marriage certificate once your father has returned the form. You need to get their objections to this specifically in writing, if in fact they are minded to object following your complaint.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

Kind regards,

Tom