Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
18726264

I overstay in the Uk, at the moment i want to have NI number,

I overstay in the Uk, at the moment i want to have NI number, can i apply to have that?
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your question. You can apply for a National Insurance Number at your local job centre if you have the right to work in the UK but you will be required to show documents which prove your identity such as a valid passport or immigration residency documents. As an overstayer you are not permitted to remain or work in the UK, claim benefits or tax credits so it is doubtful that you will be granted an NI number. Please see the attached link from HMRC for information about what documents you need and what you need to do before you can work in the UK : http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/migrantworkers/documents.htm