How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Senior Partner Your Own Question
Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 13323
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Senior Partner is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This is a long one but I shall try to simply as I dont know

Customer Question

This is a long one but I shall try to simply as I dont know what else to try or do. My son Ryan, born in South Africa, in 1985, arrived in the UK in 2004 on a working,holiday visa. and is living with us, his parents. (2004-2006) He did a degree (BA H Business with HRM) at the University of Greenwich in the UK from 2006-2009, for which we thought he could then apply for the points based system. However, Global Visa said he could not and so he went onto theTeir1 (-study-study work) visa. However, that is up 3rd Dec. 2011. Now! we dont know what else to do. My son has never broken any of his visas. He is hard working and earns £30k as an Area Manager for a facility company. He is independant and is saving to purchase his own property,therefore has no recourse for using the govt. money. He just wants to get on with his life in the UK. He has no one to return to in South Africa. My other son lives here and is married. I have my British Citizenship as I was born in Kenya in 1962 under the British Colony, my husband has his British citizenship as we have been married for 33yrs. All these visas and degrees has cost us over £50K! We too would like to settle but can only be with peace of mind,once our son is sorted too and all these expenses are out the way. Please can you advise us on what visa my son can apply for ?, or if he can he apply for indefinite leave to remain as he has been in the UK since 2004-2011. Looking at the immigration website is so confusing. Kindly advise.

FYI- My grandfather was born in Yorkshire, my mother was born in Seychelles also a British Colony. Perhaps there is another way of him getting Citizenship.


You have now confused me. I paid £31.00 and you  have decided that the NEW price should be  set at £29.00 !!!!, as this now requires more in depth details. What do you require!!! £29.00 or should I request my £31.00 refund and pay you £29.00

Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question. In order that I may try to answer you and see if your son has any rights to British Citizenship I need some more information. You say you are a British Citizen by reason of birth in Kenya. At the time of your birth you could have been a citizen of the UK and colonies and that would have changed in 1983 to British citizenship if you were both a UK citizen and had the right of abode in the UK. Do you hold a current British passport? do you hold any other citizenship I note your grandfather was born in the UK
but where was your father born? What citizenship did he have. When did your husband become naturalised as a british citizen and where was he resident?

If you have an issue about the money you need to contact customer services - see the help tab as all the experts are completely independent of the website
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, I was born in 1962 in Kenya.

Yes, I hold a British Passport with dual nationality, being South Africa.

My father was born in Seychelles. My father was Seychellois and became a South African citizen when we moved to SA in 1962.

My husband came to the UK in 2004 and then he became naturialized in 2007, My husband was resident in South Africa,where we married. We both now live in the UK.


Please dont hesitate to ask further questions.




Expert:  Senior Partner replied 4 years ago.
Ok well if you have British Citizenship in your own right and not by descent which from what you say is the case then your son is entitled to Britsih Citizenship by descent and can apply for a britsh passport. You will need ton produce his brith certificate and your passport as evidence. The fact that you are a Brtish Citizen in your own right is crucial. your husbands naturalisation came after your sons birth so does not affect your sons nationality .

He should apply for a passport as soon as posible because if he is not entitled to one then he has no other claim to stay here unless his employer can apply for a tier 2 work permit.
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 13323
Experience: Solicitor
Senior Partner and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So, is that correct the fact I was born in Kenya in 1962 and because it was under the British rule that there is a possibibility that my son could get it through me?.


I did not want to apply and then go through the appeal process as there is not much time as his expires in Dec.


Expert:  Senior Partner replied 4 years ago.
Your son will have the right of citizenship by descent if you were a citizen of the UK and Colonies and had the right of abode in the UK - as I said above, his right to a passport will depend on how you obtained your British Citizenship as he was born after 1983 (when the rules changed). If you obtained your citizenship by descent then he cannot - the new rules state that citizenship can now only descend to one generation born abroad. The rules are laid out by the UKBA here:

So, if you obtained your citizenship otherwise than by descent he can apply for citizenship and you can find the link to the application also on the link given above. It is simply an application process (no appeals etc). I hope that this helps.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.