Awan-Legal
Awan-Legal, Solicitor
Experience:  Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.
60469748

Hello, I am a Nigerian currently studying in the United

I am a Nigerian currently studying in the United Kingdom on a Tier 4 visa. I have lived as a student for about five years in the country. I will like to know if i am legible to apply for indefinite leave to remain as i have a permanent residence? what i need to know to go about applying for the visa?
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Awan-Legal replied 5 years ago.

Awan-Legal : Hi
Awan-Legal : If you have only been a student or on a tier 4 visa for the past five years then you are not actually eligible for residence yet unfortunately. You will only be entitled to permanent residence in the UK under the long residence category after ten years completion of this category.
Awan-Legal : By permanent residence, I mean indefinite leave to remain. Please click accept and I am happy to continue to help you with the above if you have any further questions arising from this.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have a permanent residence in the UK where my family lives does that count for anything?
Thanks for the accept. Which nationality are your family members and how are they related to you?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Both biological parents from Nigeria who come into the country on visit visa and own a permanent house in the UK.
Unfortunately, as you have held a student visa in your own right, your parents status (if any) will not entitle you to indefinite leave to remain in the UK. As above, you would have to have valid visas in the UK for ten years before you can apply for indefinite leave to remain. I hope that has been helpful.