How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Awan-Legal Your Own Question
Awan-Legal, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 128
Experience:  Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Awan-Legal is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got my indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK in March 2010.

Customer Question

I got my indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK in March 2010. I was due to apply for UK citizenship (passport) in March 2011. Earlier on (around August 2009) I was charged for a motor traffic offence and had to pay £386 fine in addition to 6 points on my driving licence. This offence has discouraged me from applying for my UK citizenship, which was due in March 2011. In fact I'm not sure how this affects the outcome of my citizenship application as I am in the process of submitting it anytime soon. Can you please, find out for me?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Awan-Legal replied 5 years ago.

Awan-Legal : Hi
Awan-Legal : Did you have to attend court for the fine and points?
Awan-Legal : Also, is this the only fine in the past twelve months?
Awan-Legal : What was the motor traffic offence?
Awan-Legal : You state you were charge for the offence so if you were convicted then unfortunately you will not be able to apply until the conviction has been spent.
Awan-Legal :


Awan-Legal :

Do you need any further assistance with this question or has it been answered? If so, please click accept. Thank you.

Customer :

The offence was about driving a car not insured in my name using a provisional licence. I wasn't at court in person, but the fine and points were decided there. This is the only offence and fine for the last 12 months. If I cannot apply now, for how long will I have to wait or until when will the conviction be spent?

Expert:  Senior Partner replied 5 years ago.
This question has been sitting open for a day. The expert you spoke to is not online at the moment. Do you require any more information or are you happy with the answers you had?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I think my last message in which I clarified the issues raised by you as further information has not been responded to. Kindly read the followup message and get back to me, please.
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 5 years ago.
Hi if you received a fine the rehabilitation perion is five years from the date of the fine and there is no point in applying for citizenship until then unless the law is changed as your application will be rejected.
Expert:  Awan-Legal replied 5 years ago.
Unfortunately, that is correct, as the matter was decided in court you will have to wait until five years have passed on the offence so until around August 2014. This will obviously not affect your indefinite leave to remain but you will have to wait before applying for naturalisation.

Please click accept.
Kind regards, AL

Related UK Immigration Law Questions