Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
18726264

Hello. I have an immigration question. The person concerned

Hello. I have an immigration question. The person concerned is a Slovakian national who has been living in the UK for a number of years (5+) and now wants to have permanent UK residency. The only proof that she has of living in the UK, however, is that she has been renting her flat for just over 4 years now and was accepted onto the Worker Registration Scheme on the 24th March, 2009. Before this time, she was working as an au pair for my mother, who is now deceased. She was going to wait another year before applying for her permanent residency, but she is aware that the government have today stated that they are going to withdraw the ability to apply for permanent residency after 5 years, so she would like to know if she would be able to apply now.
Does she have any other records such as bank statements or payslips going back 5 years? She can apply if she can produce evidence that she was here. Although it is not specified in the guidance you could try giving her a supporting statement that you know she was here as she worked for you mother.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello. Thank you for your reply. No, she has no other documentation at all. She was paid in cash and did not even have a bank account. I would be happy to give her a written statement that she was working for my mother. Can you tell me how she should apply please. Thank you.
She applies using form EEA(3) to the UKBA. you can find the form and the guidance notes here:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/eucitizens/documents-eea-nationals/applying/