How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Thomas Your Own Question

Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7147
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hi there i have 2 sons in uk as students the 1st one(20yrs)

Resolved Question:

hi there i have 2 sons in uk as students the 1st one(20yrs) is here since 09-2006 and he will finish his studying at 2014.The 2nd one(18 yrs) is here since 09-2007 and he'll finsh his studying at 2016 .they wanna apply for Indefinite can they apply? They aren't work, and if they are not allowed to apply when they can do that and what are the steps to do that?

the 1st son granted student visa when he was in the school from 09/2006 till 10/2009 and he got another one n his university from 09/2009 till 01/2014 but he will extend his studying 1 more year (till 2015)

he has been in UK continously in total (5yrs)

The 2nd son granted student visa to his school from 08/2007 till 10/2008 and got another one from 08/2008 till 10/2011 then he got the latest one from 09/2011 till 10/2014
he has been in uk continously in total (4yrs)
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

I’m afraid that if they have both been here on student visas (ie. Tier 4 visas) then they will not be able to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain. This is because there are no special provisions relating to time requirements for Students for the purpose of applying for ILR. They do no have the benefit of only a 5 years residency requirement (for workers) or a 2 years residency requirement (for spouses of UK nationals/persons with ILR).

Instead, a student who wishes to apply for ILR must do so on the basis of the long residence rules. This means that they must be able to show that they have been in the UK legally for a continuous period of 10 years. As such, your children would not be3 eligible to apply I regret to say.
If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your reply but I want to ask you please if they will continue to study under (General Tier 4 visa) in UK till they will complete a continuous period of10 years , will they be eligible to apply for ILR? Thanks.
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Yes, if they remain as students and continue to renew their visas so that they have an unbroken chain of residence for 10 years they will be eligible to apply for ILR, provided they do not spend significant time outside of the UK.

Trust this clarifies, please click accept.

Kind regards,

Thomas, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 7147
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.
  • John Knox's Avatar

    John Knox


    Satisfied Customers:

    solicitor with 8 years experience