Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

My sister has been living and working in Colombia for the past

Customer Question

My sister has been living and working in Colombia for the past 5 years and is in the middle of adopting a 7 year old boy (Jhon) as a single mother. She seems to have been given bad information prior to adopting him and now doesn't know if will be possible for her to come back and live in Scotland, her case summary below

Started adoption process with colombian Social work department 4 years ago in October 2007

Approved by the colombian Social work department to adopt a child on my own (after psychological tests and home visits, references etc.)

Child was found for me in May 2011. 7 years old and has been living with me as my son since end of May.

Have started the process to officially adopt him using a local lawyer.

I have been working as a Primary Teacher in Colombia since August 2006. Initially on a 23 month contract which I have renewed yearly since 2008 on 11 month contracts.

I have been back to the UK every year since 2006 (Except this year when I could not travel because of jhon).

She does not know if she is class domiciled or habitual resident yet.

What does she require to leave Colombia with her son and what will she require when she takes him into this country?
I have a copy of the "INTER-COUNTRY ADOPTION AND THE IMMIGRATION RULES" but finding it a bit hard going.
Thanks in advance

Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 5 years ago.
Will the adoption process have been completed when she comes to the UK?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

At this moment she will not know. We also realise now we need a lot more information which we can't answer at present. Sorry to have wasted your time

ok no problem