Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor

Is it possible to have a UK Border Agency decision on a visa

Is it possible to have a UK Border Agency decision on a visa reversed in the light of new evidence or mitigating circumstances. I do not wish to appeal as I believe their decision was fair and reasonable but they did not have all the correct information. The application was made via an agency on behalf of my fiancee in Thailand.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Sid Lewis
Can you confirm the type of application. Was this an application for a fiancee visa/entry clearance?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your response.

The application was for a visitors visa although we do intend to marry next year.

Sid Lewis

there are limited rights of appeal against such a refusal anyway. If you are refused a dependent visa eg as a spouse then there are broader rights of appeal. I would simply resubmit the application with an explanation and the correct supporting data.

What was the reason for refusal
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you again for your response.

The reason for the refusal was that the information provided in my fiancee's application for a visa in February this year did not tally with the information she provided in her recent application. Basically, she misunderstood the meaning of the words dependent and independent. She has two children aged 11 and 7 but unfortunately put down on her application that they were not dependent on her. Two letters apart in their spelling but a whole world apart in their meaning. This "information undermines the overall credibility of your application and leads me to question the accuracy of the other information you have provided - including your reasons for wishing to travel to the UK." If it helps at all, I can send you the document?

Sid Lewis

Thanks. No it is not necessary to send the documents. you would need to remove the names etc anyway.

this does raise difficulties. Once UKBa has suspicions raised they may be quite difficult. It does not help really that you plan to marry because that, if they become aware of it will simply reinforce the idea that she may not comply with the terms of a visitors visa. Has she had one before? Has she visited the UK? If so that would help because you could point out that she has complied with visa's before.

I think your best bet is to write resubmitting the application and explaining that it was an error and that the children are of course dependent on her. Were they going to accompany her? Who would look after them if not. All of that may be relevant.