Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor

I am living in the UK on a Highly Skilled Migrant Visa which

Customer Question

I am living in the UK on a Highly Skilled Migrant Visa which is due to expire in June 2012 and needs to be extended for a further 2 years before I am entitled to apply for ILR. If I were to marry a British Citizen before June 2012, how would it affect my immigration status? Would I remain on the HSMP or would I be switched to a Spouse Visa or any other type of Visa?
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Awan-Legal replied 5 years ago.

Awan-Legal :

Awan-Legal :

You may switch to a spouse visa once you are married but simply getting married to a British citizen will not automatically transfer your status to a spouse visa. You will need to make a spouse extension application once you are married to the Home Office whilst your HSMP visa is still valid. You will of course need to be in a valid and genuine marriage before you can apply and will need to meet the spouse requirements.

Awan-Legal :

I hope this answers your question. If so, please click accept and I am happy to answer any further follow up questions that you may have on this issue.

Awan-Legal :

Kind regards,

Awan-Legal :

Awan Legal

Awan-Legal :

Please click accept if you are satisfied with the answer so that I may claim for my time. Thank you.

JACUSTOMER-ib75qtws- :

I am not satisfied with your answer, but thank you for your time indeed

Expert:  Senior Partner replied 5 years ago.
I see you are not satisfied with the answer offered - although it seems to me to be perfectly accurate. What else do you wish to know?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for following up. The answer may have been accurate, no doubts about it but very vague to me. I have received a professional answer from another expert, I believe his name is Tim and he was able to fully answer that question.
Thank you
Kind regards,
Thats fine i am glad you have all the answers you need