Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

I am living in the UK on a Highly Skilled Migrant Visa which

Customer Question

I am living in the UK on a Highly Skilled Migrant Visa which is due to expire in June 2012 and needs to be extended for a further 2 years before I am entitled to apply for ILR. If I were to marry a British Citizen before June 2012, how would it affect my immigration status? Would I remain on the HSMP or would I be switched to a Spouse Visa or any other type of Visa?
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

If you marry a British citizen then your immigration status would not be affected at all if you simply did nothing. You would remain on your present visa.

However, as you would be married to a British citizen you would be entitled to apply (subject to meeting the other eligibility criteria) for a Spouse Visa (Settlement). You need not leave the country to do this, you could simply apply in country to switch to a spouse visa.

I can provide you with further detailed guidance of the eligibility criteria and how to make the application . Please submit a further question to the board and either request my using my profile or by marking your question “FAO Tom”.
If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Tom
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Tom,
Many thanks for your answer.Yes please, send me the criteria and advise me if i can obtain the settlement status faster with a spouse visa versus HSMP? thanks
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your accept.

Your deposit is not sufficient to cover the time it would take to provide you with the information on eligiblity crteria I'm afraid.

Kind regards,

Tom