Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

hi, my solicitor. submitted my application for settlement yesterday

Customer Question

hi, my solicitor. submitted my application for settlement yesterday but paid only £550 instead of £972. Please how can i go about this?, any number to call?, she is writting them with an additional £422 today. please advice thanks
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

What is your solicitor's explanation for this?

When does your current leave to remain expire?

Kind regards,

Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
she said it was a mistake, my leave expires next friday and i have just tracked the mail its been delivered this morning.
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

Right. That's put you in a difficult position and your solicitor should be quite concerned.

The UKBA would in these circumstances see that the correct cheque has not been submitted and simply send all of the documents and the check back to you. They would not keep the fee, the whole thing would be rejected out of hand.

The problem is that your leave to remain expires next Friday. So if they whole thing does not come back in time then you will no longer technically have leave to remain, which is a general ground of refusal so the UKBA would be permitted to reject the application again and, technically, ask you to leave the country to make a further application from your home country.

If the cheque gets there before they send the application back then you will probably (probably) be okay. If it doesn't then you are going to have to hope it is returned promptly enough in order for you to send your application with the correct cheque by the time you leave expires.

If your leave to remain expires then you will certainly have grounds for a complaint against your solicitor and you should certainly put this to them.

If your settlement is on the basis of a marriage to a UK national then the UKBA are more flexible than they are for settlement applications on the basis of workers visas.

It may be that you can come to an arrangement with your solicitor in the event of a refusal to get them to act on appeal at a highly reduced rate.

Sorry it could not be better news. Your solicitor has let you down I'm afraid but it may work out okay - you will just have to wait and see.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Tom
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks i will accept the answer.. who do i complain to pls

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.