Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

I am English with a British Passport. My wife is a Sri Lankan

I am English with a British Passport. My wife is a Sri Lankan national and hold a Sri Lankan Passport. She has Leave to Remain in the UK as my wife, shortly to be extended for a further 10 years. If we wish to travel to any European country for a holiday does she need additional visa when travelling with me?

Thanks for your question.

Yes. I’m afraid so. Even if a foreign national holds leave to remain in the UK or even indefinite leave to remain, it does not mean that they gain the rights of EEA national (as Britain i) or benefit from the visa-waiver programs in place with other countries for the benefit of UK nationals.
From a foreign travel point of view, she remains a Sri Lankan Citizen and would therefore be subject to the same visa requirements as any other Sri Lankan national. So, you would have to check with the individual country’s visa issuing authority as to whether she would require a visa to travel there as a Sri Lankan citizen.

If your wife wishes to gain EEA/UK citizen rights of travel she must apply for and obtain naturalisation. I can offer you further advice if you wish to submit a further question to the board either requesting me via my profile or by marking the further question “FAO Tom”.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
this request is covering your unread answer