Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

i am bringing my fiance from the philippines in the new year

i am bringing my fiance from the philippines in the new year so that we can get marred in the uk what i want to know is can she come over on a single air ticket or will i have to get a open return
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

Is it intended that she will remain here permanently with you once married, or would she return to her home country?

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
remain permantley
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Can you please also state your nationality?

Do you mind terribly if I answer in full tomorrow morning. The answer requires quite a bit of drafting and I'm shortly to go offline.
Alternatively, I can opt out to see if another expert provides an answer in the meantime.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
English. tomorrow will be fine
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
Thanks again. I'll be able to answer by 9.30.

Kind regards,

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

If she is coming here to marry she will need to apply for a fiance visa (settlement). Here is the criteria you would need to fulfill for a fiance visa,

• You plan to marry within 6 months of her arriving here
• You plan to live permanently together here
• You have met each other
• You can support each other without the need for public funds
• You have suitable accommodation which is owned or lived in only by you or your household and where you and your dependents can live without any help from public funds
• That neither of you are younger than 21 years of age. (birth certificates, passports)
You have to produce to the UKBA documentation that proves the above. This would be some of the following:-
• If you are to apply for a fiancé visa you will have to show evidence of your intention to marry, so things like purchase of a ring, evidence of having met (photos correspondence etc), booking of a wedding venue, evidence of invites etc.
• Bank statements from both you and your wife going back 6 months showing the income/capital you have available
• Payslips (6 month of) and a letter from your employer stating that you have a permanent job, contract of employment
• Documentary evidence of any other assets you hold (eg. Shares, evidence of ISAs or bonds)
• Marriage certificate, Birth Certificate, passport
• Evidence of correspondence between you and your wife showing that the relationship is credible and genuine (eg. Emails, letters, evidence of previous trips, photos showing you together, phone records
• Evidence of the accommodation where you will live (ie. land registry officials copies of the property that you own, mortgage documentation, copy tenancy agreement if you rent, council tax statements, house report by a solicitor, letter from landlord confirm he is happy to give you a further tenancy agreement
• Evidence that she can speak English:
• You should also include job adverts showing jobs available that your wife could do when she comes here and show, via your wife’s CV, that she has the qualifications and work experience that she would be a viable candidate for those roles
Further information here:-

The application will have to be supported by evidence proving the above eligibility criteria. I have suggested basic documents above, but the list is not exhaustive. They key to a successful application is producing well-collated documentary evidence for the above criteria.

She will also have to pass and english language test showing she has a basic command of spoken and listening English. She can find out approved test providers in her area by contacting the UK embassy nearest to her.

You will need to apply to the British Embassy/Consulate closest to her for fiance visa using form VAF4 which is available for download from the UKBA website

You should consider instructing a immigration solicitor to prepare an application for you. You can find local solicitors via:-

It should cost around £1000-1500+ VAT. It will save you money in the long run, in all probability.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,