Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

I have a Tier-1 dependent visa that is valid until 2012. My

I have a Tier-1 dependent visa that is valid until 2012. My husband had applied and got the Tier 1 visa because he thought that he would be transferred with his job. We did not end up moving to the UK but still have an active Tier 1 visa. Does anyone know whether I can use it to travel to the UK as a tourist? Or will I require a tourist visa?
Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks for your question.

When was the visa granted?

Would both of you be coming, or just you?

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your response.

The visa was granted in July of 2009 and expires in July 2012.

I will be travelling alone to see my brother who lives in london.

Thank you.

It's not a good idea to travel on the assumption that the visa is still valid. For one thing, your dependent visa is linked to your husband's so if he is not travelling then it would be held invalid unless you could show that you husband was either in the UK already or was very shortly to come.

Additionally, even if he were to travel the visa is for the purpose of working in the UK, not visiting on a tourist basis. So, technically, you would not have a valid visa for your visit in any event.

You're going to have to apply for a visitor's visa in the normal way:-

The UKBA has discretion to revoke visas if unused, the within which this is generally done after having been granted is generally taken to be 3-4 month so I regret to say that it is really not worth the risk.

You should explain why the visa was not taken up when you make the application for a visitor's visa.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. Clicking accept does not cost you any extra money, it just means I get rewarded for my time.

Kind regards,

I note you have not clicked accept to my answer. Is there any further information you require?

If you do not click accept then your deposit simply stays with the website and I receive absolutely no credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. Only when you click accept does a portion of your deposit actually transfer to me and you will not be charged any further money simply by clicking accept.

Please click accept.