Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

I received my settlement visa (indefinate leave to remain)

I received my settlement visa (indefinate leave to remain) in July 2011, how long do i have to wait before becoming a British citizen and can apply for a UK passport?
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your question.
To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following using the same numbering:-
1. Were you previously on a spouse visa before applying for ILR, or on a workers visa?
Kind regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
1 On a ancestral visa
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

In order to obtain a UK passport you must first naturalise as a UK citizen.

If you were here previously on an Ancestry Visa then this meant that you must have been in the UK for a continuous period of 5 years immediately before you submit your application for naturalisation. This and the other requirements (eg. Days outside the UK during the 5 year period) are confirmed here:-

There is a further caveat in that you must have held ILR for at least 12 months before you apply for Naturalisation as a UK citizen.

Once you meet these requirement you can apply to be naturalised and thereafter a UK passport.
If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,