Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

hi my visa is going to expire on 24th Jan 2012 do you think

Customer Question

hi my visa is going to expire on 24th Jan 2012 do you think i can apply for spouse visa after marry a british girl friend
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your question.
To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following using the same numbering:-
1. What nationality are you
2. What visa are you presently in the UK on
Kind regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i am pakistan national

my visa is tier 4 student visa
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

You need to apply for a spouses visa (ie. Settlement), you are permitted to switch to this category provided you have current leave to remain in this country and are not in breach of the conditions of the visa.

If the application is well prepared and you meet the following eligibility criteria then it will make the application easy and quick to decide upon for the UKBA. To be eligible, you must show:-

• 1. That you are legally married to each other (marriage certificate)
• 2. You are present and settled in the UK (eg. Passport, proof of accommodation)
• 3. You intend to live permanently together here in the UK as husband and wife (statements, evidence of her (statements, correspondence(
• 4. You can support each other without the need for public funds (bank statements, evidence of income)
• 5. You have suitable accommodation which is owned or lived in only by you or your household and where you and your dependents can live without any help from public funds (tenancy agreement, land registry docs if you your own home)
• 6. That neither of you are younger than 21 years of age. (birth certificates, passports)

You have to produce to the UKBA documentation that proves the above. This would be some of the following:-
• Bank statements from both you and your wife going back 6 months showing the income/capital you have available
• Payslips (6 month of) and a letter from your employer stating that you have a permanent job, contract of employment
• Documentary evidence of any other assets you hold (eg. Shares, evidence of ISAs or bonds)
• Marriage certificate, Birth Certificate, passport
• Evidence of correspondence between you and your wife showing that the relationship is credible and genuine (eg. Emails, letters, evidence of previous trips, photos showing you together, phone records
• Evidence of the accommodation where you will live (ie. land registry officials copies of the property that you own, mortgage documentation, copy tenancy agreement if you rent, council tax statements, house report by a solicitor, letter from landlord confirm he is happy to give you a further tenancy agreement
• Evidence that you can speak English:
• You should also include job adverts showing jobs available that your wife could do when she comes here and show, via your wife’s CV, that she has the qualifications and work experience that she would be a viable candidate for those roles
Further information here:-

You will need to apply for settlement (ie. spouses visa) by using form FLR(M) Settlement, available for download from UKBA's website. It would be best for either a solicitor in the UK to prepare it in consultation with both you and your wife before submitting it to ensure the best possible chance of success upon determination by the UKBA.

You can find Uk immigration solicitors through the following Law Society Website search engine:-

The visa will be granted for a period of 27 months. You can apply for indefinite leave to remain once you have been here for 24 months. 12 months later you can apply to be naturalised as a UK citizen provided you have not spent a lot of time outside the UK during the 36 months total.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
you did not specifically answer my question . my question was relating time limit i have left 4 months visa valid but some solicitors are saying i need 8 month visa valid to apply for spouse please advise
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

You can switch to a spouse visa provided you have been given permission to live here for a total of more than 6 months since your most recent admission to the UK - as you are here on a student Tier 4 visa I assume that since the most recent time you came in to the UK on your spouse visa it was granted for greater than 6 months and therefore you are eligible to switch.

Trust this clarifies, please click accept.

Kind regards,

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

I note you have not clicked accept to my answer. Is there any further information you require?

If you do not click accept then your deposit simply stays with the website and I receive absolutely no credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. Only when you click accept does a portion of your deposit actually transfer to me and you will not be charged any further money simply by clicking accept.

Please click accept.

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

I have answered your question

If you do not click accept I shall consider leaving negative customer feedback which will result in other experts being reluctant to answer future questions you submit to the board.

It does not cost you any more money to click accept, it just means I get rewarded for the time I have taken to answer your question (which is considerable)

Please click accept.