Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
18726264

i want to know i am living with girlfriend she is having baby

Customer Question

i want to know i am living with girlfriend she is having baby from her ex and she is taking child benefit only. she is doing part time job and she is having her own flat. she is British and we want to marry each other. may i know is this effect when i change my current student visa to her spouse visa after marriage?
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 5 years ago.
Child benefit is an entitlement and is not means related so it does not count as having recourse to public funds so it would not prevent you applying for spouse status. I assume you have been lawfully in the UK for 8 months or more? You cannot change to a spouse visa if you only have leave for less than 8 months
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
my student visa will expire on 24th Jan 2012 please advise can i apply for spouse visa
When was it issued? As long as it was for more than 6 months you can apply . you need to comply with all the criteria

You will find them here on the UKBA website:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/partners-families/citizens-settled/spouse-cp/can-you-apply/
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it was issued in september 2010
Sorry I have only just seen you reply but that is fine as it is more than 6 months ago.