Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor

Im a 27 year old British Citizen. I have a Jamaican boyfriend

I'm a 27 year old British Citizen. I have a Jamaican boyfriend who has just turned 29. We met twice last year and we're still corresponding. He wants to come to the UK to obtain employment and also for our relationship to blossom! But I think the odds are against him because he's young and a low-skilled worker who couldn't afford the visa fee anyway. In two years I qualify as a Nurse, so I can't help him until then. In the meantime what can we do?
Thanks for your question. He will not get a work permit unless he can get an offer of employment with an employer who can sponsor him for a tier 2 skilled worker role. In the current climate that is unlikely given his limited skill set. If he applies to come as a visitor h may well be rejected on grounds that his true purpose s not to visit and he may not leave when his visit is concluded. you could try for a visitors visa but there is not much else you can do.

If he wants to look for a job you can find the rules about work permits on the UKBA website here:
I assume he does not have parents who were uk citizens?