How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK-Justice Your Own Question
UK-Justice, Barrister
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 16193
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
UK-Justice is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Dear Sir, I own an Italian rest. and I have been searching

Customer Question

Dear Sir, I own an Italian rest. and I have been searching for a suitable kitchen Asssitant for months. I have taken on apprentices, workers from jub cntr etc but nobody has proved to have to skills nor correct attitude. I have now found the perfect candidate by chance, she has agreed to do a weeks trial and has proved to be perfect. The is from Romania and has been told that she can only get a N.I. number if she is works as self employed, to show the Job Cntr several invoices from various employers that she has worked for herself as a kitchen worker. This will be difficult to do. I have want to know how I am able to get this lady to work for me in a legal way?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your question. Please remember to click ACCEPT once you get my answer.

Does the Romanian hold a worker card? If so, what colour?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am waiting for her reply but I do not think so.
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 5 years ago.

If she has no card - she can NOT legally work in the UK.

Please also let me know if she does have a card, what colour it is.

Please do not forget to click accept, thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
She has just confirmed NO. Although why would the job centre inform her that if she could work freelance for a few different companies working for herself, then she could upon submitting the evidence of having worked, by showing various invoices, then she would be able to get a national insurance number. She was also told that I as an employer could make an application, as long she complies within the Point A system - but I don't know anything about this? So, there are other possibilities?
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 5 years ago.
I am sorry to say no.

Without a working permit she can not work for you.

The point system has to show a high degree of skill and need for a particular Job, such as lawyer, doctor etc.

A kitchen assistant is not skilled and therefore very unlikely to succeed.

The bottom line is you can not employ this person.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you are looking for but based on what you have said and the lack of work permit, this is the legal position.

Please do not forget to click accept, thanks.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.