UK-Justice, Barrister
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007

my son in law has certifcate of travel issued by uk it is like

my son in law has certifcate of travel issued by uk it is like a passport but black has a chip and number inside. It states on the back page he can travel to any country except Afganistan, his wife and son both have british passports, we are travelling to spain flying from manchester on
the 18th for a weeks cruise to the medittarenan All his documents have been cleared by Manchester airport, but I am concerned as I have contacted Royal Carriabean who we are travelling with who tell me that he needs a visa to go to spain we only board the boat in Spain travel through Italy, and return to Spain and fly back to UK,Ihave looked on the web site for Foreign Commonwealth Ofice and they say he doesnt need a visa im totally confused as I havent got much time to sort it out as we fly on the 18th September, I live in North Wales is a n office nearer than London which can help me. I would be gratefull if you could help me as i am very worried Many Thanks Helen
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your question. Please remember to click ACCEPT once you get my answer.

I am sorry but he will need a visa.

Although it is recognised by many countries, Spain does not recognise this document.

Because of this a visa will be needed.

The Certificate is not accepted by Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Portugal, South Africa, Spain, Switzerland - within Europe.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you were looking for but based on what you have said this is the legal position.

Please be kind enough to click accept, thank you.