A. Valcke
A. Valcke, Solicitor
Experience:  14+ years of experience // LL.B., Maîtrise en Droit, Masters in EU Law, Pg.Dip.L.P.
47098609

I am a south African working in the Uk for the last 4 years

I am a south African working in the Uk for the last 4 years on a working visa I have been made redundant so I can't work for anybody else my wife has a Irish passport can I work in the uk because she has a Irish passport can I apply for a EEA family member because she has a Irish passport
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your question.

Please could you confirm that your wife lives in the UK with you?

Please could you also confirm whether she works or studies or whether she is unemployed?

I look forward to your response.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi yes my wife lives with me In the uk. And yes she is working in the uk
Thanks for confirming the situation.

I can confirm that as the spouse of an EU citizen living in the UK, you have a right to live and work in the UK. You must be able to apply for a residence card as the family member of an EU citizen.

You can apply using form EEA2 which you can download here:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/eucitizens/documents-family/applying/

You'll need to rpovide your passport, your wife's passport, your marriage certificate and proof of your wife's employment.

Once you have applied, you'll be issued with a certificate of application which should confirm your right to work pending the issue of your residence card

I hope this answers your question.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi one more thing can I start working before I apply for a residence card or do I need to have it and thanks for your response
Yes, you can start working.

Your right to work is not conditional on having a residence card. The card merely serves as evidence of your right to work.

In case you face any difficulty in obtaining a residence card, please don't hesitate to contact Your Europe Advice for further assistance:
http://ec.europa.eu/citizensrights/front_end/index_en.htm