How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7590
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hello , i have been married for just over 2 years to a Canandian

Customer Question

hello , i have been married for just over 2 years to a Canandian man we have been together for 5 years , i am on government funds due 2 my health , my husband is in full time work in Canada and of good health , what do i need to do to get my husband here to the u.k. to live , he is a workaholic so i know when/if he comes here he will undertake any work and then will be able to support me which will then get me off the government sunds we are so desperate to be together , please can you help in pointing me to the direction we need to go thank you
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.



Thanks for your question.

To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following using the same numbering:-

  • 1. What nationality are you please
  • 2. Are you presently living in the UK

Kind regards.


Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i am British and yes i do live in the u.k.
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.





Thanks for your question.


He will need to apply for a spouses visa (ie. Settlement) if he is to come here to settle with you permanently.



If the application is well prepared and you meet the following eligibility criteria then it will make the application easy and quick to decide upon for the UKBA. To be eligible, you must show:-


  • 1. That you are legally married to each other (marriage certificate)
  • 2. You are present and settled in the UK (eg. Passport, proof of accommodation)
  • 3. You intend to live permanently together here in the UK as husband and wife (statements, evidence of her (statements, correspondence(
  • 4. You can support each other without the need for public funds (bank statements, evidence of income)
  • 5. You have suitable accommodation which is owned or lived in only by you or your household and where you and your dependents can live without any help from public funds (tenancy agreement, land registry docs if you your own home)
  • 6. That neither of you are younger than 21 years of age. (birth certificates, passports)

The application will have to be supported by evidence proving the above eligibility criteria. I have suggested basic documents above, but the list is not exhaustive.


The criteria above in terms of financial maintenance are taken to mean that you will not claim more in public funds than you already do, so that you claim benefits already is not, in and of itself, necessarily a bar to an application - you just have to show that one he is here you will have access to sufficient income and asset to support you in accommodation and living expenses. You can do this by either showing finance that you already have but also a job that he has obtained by interview from Canada or by showing jobs that are available in the locality where you are to live that he could reasonably expect to get and derive an income from. He will have to submit his CV, for example as well.


He will need to apply for settlement (ie. spouses visa) by using form VAF4 Settlement, available for download from UKBA's website. It would be best for either a solicitor in the UK to prepare it in consultation with both you and your husband before submitting it to ensure the best possible chance of success upon determination by the UKBA. It would cost around £1500+ VAT.



You can find Uk immigration solicitors through the following Law Society Website search engine:-


The visa will be granted for a period of 27 months. You husband can apply for indefinite leave to remain once he has been here for 24 months. 12 months later he can apply to be naturalised as a UK citizen provided he has not spent a lot of time outside the UK during the 36 months total.


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.


I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,


Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
I note you have not clicked accept to my answer. Is there any further information you require?
If you do not click accept then your deposit simply stays with the website and I receive absolutely no credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. Only when you click accept does a portion of your deposit actually transfer to me and you will not be charged any further money simply by clicking accept.
Please click accept.
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
I have answered your question


If you do not click accept I shall consider leaving customer feedback which will result in other experts being reluctant to answer future questions you submit to the board.


It does not cost you any more money to click accept. It just means that a portion of the money held by the website transfers to me. If you do not click accept. I receive absolutely not credit for the time I have taken to answer your question (which is considerable).



Related UK Immigration Law Questions