Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor

I was registered as a British Citizen on 4th April 2011 based

I was registered as a British Citizen on 4th April 2011 based on my birth on Aden "ex-British colony". My certificate of registration shows section 4B in the bottom under the date of registeration.

I have five children aged 22, 20, 17, 14 and 8 who are all born outside the UK. How can I apply British passports for them.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 5 years ago.
Can you clarify - were you stateless i.e. without any other citizenship prior to registration?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes. When applying for the British citizenship I was asked to provide letters from Yemen where I was born and Somalia and Saudi Arabia where I lived for some time. I provided a letter from each authority that I was not a citizen of their countries. As I said earlier I was born in the colony of Aden during the British rule and I obtain a British birth certificate. This may answere your question that I was stateless from other citizenship but could have been a CUKC citizen from birth.

Best regards,

Mohamed Abdi

Thanks - As I understand the position you needed to register as a British Citizen under s4B of the Nationality Act 1981

You were not therefore automatically a British citizen ( as opposed to a British subject) under the 1981 act but registration was a precondition to your acquiring citizenship- you could for example have become a Yemeni citizen on independence.

The effect of that is that you were not a British Citizen the time of your children's birth.They do not therefor have a right to a British Citizenship by descent but could only obtain one by naturalisation or registration and they can only do this if hey are resident in the UK . It is possible for your minor children to apply for registration if they are resident here for sufficient period but your adult children will need to qualify in their own right
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the answer.

What do I need to do to make them residents in the UK. Shall I travel with them on visa to the UK and apply for them from there or there is another process?

Best regrds,

Your wife and minor children are entitled to come with you to the UK as your dependents but if you are going to live in the UK then they will need visa's if they are visa nationals . You will need to show that you can support them without recourse to any state benefits and that there is some where for them to live etc.

they have no right to come here unless they are coming to live with you.

You can find all the relevant information on the UKBA website here:
You older children will have to qualify in their own right as students or workers children over 18 cannot generally come as dependents