How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Senior Partner Your Own Question
Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 13323
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Senior Partner is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was registered as a British Citizen on 4th April 2011 based

Resolved Question:

I was registered as a British Citizen on 4th April 2011 based on my birth on Aden "ex-British colony". My certificate of registration shows section 4B in the bottom under the date of registeration.

I have five children aged 22, 20, 17, 14 and 8 who are all born outside the UK. How can I apply British passports for them.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 5 years ago.
Can you clarify - were you stateless i.e. without any other citizenship prior to registration?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes. When applying for the British citizenship I was asked to provide letters from Yemen where I was born and Somalia and Saudi Arabia where I lived for some time. I provided a letter from each authority that I was not a citizen of their countries. As I said earlier I was born in the colony of Aden during the British rule and I obtain a British birth certificate. This may answere your question that I was stateless from other citizenship but could have been a CUKC citizen from birth.


Best regards,

Mohamed Abdi


Expert:  Senior Partner replied 5 years ago.
Thanks - As I understand the position you needed to register as a British Citizen under s4B of the Nationality Act 1981

You were not therefore automatically a British citizen ( as opposed to a British subject) under the 1981 act but registration was a precondition to your acquiring citizenship- you could for example have become a Yemeni citizen on independence.

The effect of that is that you were not a British Citizen the time of your children's birth.They do not therefor have a right to a British Citizenship by descent but could only obtain one by naturalisation or registration and they can only do this if hey are resident in the UK . It is possible for your minor children to apply for registration if they are resident here for sufficient period but your adult children will need to qualify in their own right
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the answer.

What do I need to do to make them residents in the UK. Shall I travel with them on visa to the UK and apply for them from there or there is another process?


Best regrds,

Expert:  Senior Partner replied 5 years ago.
Your wife and minor children are entitled to come with you to the UK as your dependents but if you are going to live in the UK then they will need visa's if they are visa nationals . You will need to show that you can support them without recourse to any state benefits and that there is some where for them to live etc.

they have no right to come here unless they are coming to live with you.

You can find all the relevant information on the UKBA website here:
You older children will have to qualify in their own right as students or workers children over 18 cannot generally come as dependents

Senior Partner, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 13323
Experience: Solicitor
Senior Partner and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.