How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Senior Partner Your Own Question
Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 13323
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Senior Partner is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My older son Kyle is 21, was born in the USA & at University

Customer Question

My older son Kyle is 21, was born in the USA & at University in the USA.
My younger son Scott is 18, was born in the UK, at University in the USA.
Both have American passports.
I am UK domiciled & resident here, born here & own a UK passport.
I would like to get them a British passport too (is that dual citizenship) & wish to know how I can also make them legally able to work here at the least during the Christmas holidays & possibly full time if they choose to live here.
Please advise fully as I need to sort this quickly as it has been outstanding.
Mr Barry Bowen
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 5 years ago.
you have asked this question before and I responded in detail including a link to where you could get the information to apply but you did not respond or accept and I note you have never accepted any of the answers of other experts either.

My answer was as follows:

"Thanks in that case they are both british citizens. Your 18 year old by birth and the 21 year old by descent. The only difference is that your 18 year old can pass his citizenship on to children born abroad but your 21 year old cannot as citizenship by descent can only pass one generation. They can simply apply for british passports. They will need to provide evidence of your citizenship - a copy of your passport is I recall sufficient.

If they are living in the US they apply to a british consulate - information is here:

There is no inhibition either in the US or the UK to being a dual national but they must enter and leave the Us on their US passports"

There is no restriction on them working in the UK as British Citizens

Please pres accept so I am credited with my time. You can still ask follow up questions.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello - sorry I am in Europe at the moment.
So do they get in touch with British Consolate in US?
Are they in their respective State or is there one National, or do they initially do it in the UK?
Do they call or get forms on line?
Being kids, I won't find it easy to get them to do this - so I'll have to do it & just want clear instructions on where to go - addree or e-mail or number if necessary.
Thanks for help.
Mr Bowen
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 5 years ago.
Hi Barry
There is one processing centre for the USA - in washington see here

This is the address

UK Passport Service for the Americas and Caribbean
British Embassy
19 Observatory Circle N.W.
Washington DC 20008

They have to apply there if they are in the US. They could apply for a passport if they are in the UK but it is not a quick process.

As they are applying for a first adult passport, they will be required to attend personally for an interview. This is part of the fraud checking process. In the uk this is done at regional passport offices but I dont honestly know what happens in the US. It may be possible to go to the local consulate or embassy. Washington is just the central processing centre.

All the forms are available online through the links I have given you . You use form C1 and the guidance notes tell you exactly what you need to submit.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.