Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor

I dont currently have a job offer, but am interested in relocating

I don't currently have a job offer, but am interested in relocating from the US to Britain and working. What steps do I have to take and how long will the process take?
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 5 years ago.
Do you have particular specialist skills or do you have a substantial amount of money to invest? What is your background and skill set? Do you have any particular uk connection?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have a BS degree in mathematics. I've spent the last 10 years working for an insurance company in the claims department, mostly as a claims supervisor. Prior to that I managed a fast food restaurant for 9 years.

I have strong analytical skills and am good at getting a team to a result. My current employer's parent company has offices througout Europe, including several in the UK. I would likely attempt employment with this company, but have not so far.

I can have around 30-40 k in funds to get there and get a life started there

I have no immediate family in the UK; the family has a rumor of being related to Mary Queen of Scots, and I've been interested going to the UK for quite some time.
Ok thanks for the additional information. I am afraid based upon that you will need to find a job here with a company that is prepared to sponsor you. The UK has recently tightened its rules quite considerably and unless you can invest £200,000 in a business or have world leading skills it is not possible to obtain permission to come here and seek work. This category of visa is now closed.

Based on what you say the only category you would be eligible for would be "skilled worker" and that require a job offer from a sponsoring employer. Your best bet therefore would be to try and obtain inter company transfer. Athough I have to say - as you will doubtless be aware- that the UK is a leading insurance centre and there is not shortage of skilled claims staff.

You will find the rules about coming to work in the uk on the UKBA website here:

Please feel free come back with follow up questions