How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7408
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my visa is going to expire 24th of sept what shoul i do

Resolved Question:

my visa is going to expire 24th of sept 2011 what shoul i do? pls help me how can i extend
my visa for at least one month more? im divorced and i want to get marry but there's no time left.pls help me....
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

What visa are you presently on?

Kind regards

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
im on spouce visa which is going to expire on 24th sept 2011,im divorced on 1st of april 2011.
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Do you have any children with your ex-spouse?

Is the person that you wish to marry a UK national, if not please state their nationality and immigration status in the UK?

How long have you been here on your spouse visa?

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no i dont have any children. the person whom i want to marry is from nepal,but she is ILR here in uk for two years.i seperated from my ex-wife from january 2010,and i entered in uk on 17 july 2009.
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry to say, but I’m afraid you have go t yourself in to a bit of a pickle.

No doubt you are aware that divorcing your spouses creates considerable problems in terms of your spouse visa. Had the UKBA found out that you had divorced they would have written to you informing you that they had curtailed your visa and ask that you leave the country. The problem is that remaining married to your spouses is a condition of your visa so you have therefore put yourself in breach of your spouse visa which makes it invalid.

Even if you somehow managed to reach the period for which you could otherwise have applied for ILR (two year residency) you would be prevented from doing this now because you are no longer married to the spouses and this is a very, very strict requirement.

There is no restriction you physically being able to marry your new partner because there is no requirement for a certificate of approval any longer. You will simply have to prove your identities by taking your passports and proofs of address and then put your notice of marriage up at the registry office where you are to marry.

The problem is that you would then have to apply for a spouses visa based on your new marriage. When you come to do this the UKBA will say that your present visa is curtailed because you are no longer married to the person and ask that you leave the country to make an application from your home country. The application would be rejected and you would be forced to appeal. I would not be at all optimistic of your chances of success.

My advice would be to see a local immigration solicitor about advising you on a out-of-country application and then instruct them to prepare it. You could then marry and return home with the correctly evidenced and collated application to submit straight away to the embassy back home.

The UKBA will be suspcicious of your new relationship so it is absolutely crucial that you have as much documentary evidence as possible (eg. Photos, telephone records, correspondence, evidence of time spent together , statements from you both and those who also know that you have been together) to prove that you new marriage is genuine and credible.

Sorry it could not be better news, but if your application is well drafted and the UKBA accept your new marriage as genuine then you would have a decent chance of securing a new spouse visa if you make an application to the embassy from your home country.
If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Thomas, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 7408
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and 3 other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.