How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Senior Partner Your Own Question

Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 13322
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Senior Partner is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello. I have been living in the UK for almost 7 years now

Customer Question

Hello. I have been living in the UK for almost 7 years now with my wife and I am an EU citizen. My wife is Russian and she has been living in the UK with an EEA family permit which expires next year.

We have been advised that we are eligibible for British citizenship and that we apply this as opposed to a confirmation under EU law that we are now permanent residents (since we have exercised treaty rights for the same period).

The issue we have is that the application is under consideration (for naturalisation) at the home office but my wife is now convicted for contravening the red lights and was fined by the magistrates court with 200 pounds fine.

My concern is that under the rehabilitation act 1974 she now carries an unspent conviction which we have to disclose to the home office ! And in reality since it is not a FPN we know she is more likely to get rejected.

My question is , if I become a british citizen and she is not, then does it mean her right to permanent residence under EU immigration law will be waived? I heard from someone that if an EU citizen becomes UK citizen then UK immigration rules for UK citizens supersede the ones for EU citizens. Is that the case? I will not lose my EU citizenship so I was thinking nothing stops my wife from applying for confirmation of her permanent residency under EU immigration rules.

Please advise as I am stuck and I am now thinking that withdrawing our british nationality application could be better than risking my wife being treated under UK immigration act as a wife of a British Citizen (considering the latest changes in ILR rules)
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 4 years ago.
thanks for your question. You are correct the conviction will lead to a citizenship application being rejected until it is spent. However as you say, you are not required to give u your EU citizenship and your wife will continue to be entitled to be resident here as the wife of an eu citizen. This is not be affected by your acquiring uk citizenship - she is not her as the spouse of a UK citizen but exercising treaty rights and after 7 years she would be allowed to continue to do so even if you ceased to be married. Has your wife applied for confirmation of her right ot permanent residence which she is entitled to after5 years?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your answer. Unfortunately this is our biggest concern, she hasnt got the confirmation from the Home office but we know that she is eligible for it. Do you think the conviction will in any case affect her acquiring confirmation of her permanent residency? I am very confused with the current regulations which say that on the one hand she doesnt need paperwork but on the other hand i become a UK citizen and the rules for ILR are different (with unspent convictions) ! i dont want her to have immigration issues
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 4 years ago.
You do not need to be concerned. Your wife has a right to reside in the UK. UKBA has no discretion in the matter. the confirmation of right of residence is exactly - that confirmation of a right. your wife could only be deported for a serious crime. a motoring offence is not a problem. I appreciate that the rules are confusing. This in sense because they are discriminatory against uk citizens who have less rights in respect of wives and family than EU citizens. However you are and will remain an EU citizen and your wife has already acquired treaty rights. She does not need to apply for ILR.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok thanks for this. Do I understand it right that once she is refused as a british citizen she can then apply for a confirmation of her permanent residency without issues? We need the confirmation anyway for travelling, applying for loans and for a confirmation to future employers that she is eligible to work.

Thank you so much again for your help, I will accept answer after this !
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 4 years ago.
Yes actually there is no reason why she cannot apply straight away . It might be sensible to withdraw the naturalisation application as under the current rules it is bound to be refused
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 13322
Experience: Solicitor
Senior Partner and 2 other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you very much ! This answer was great very helpful. On your point regarding withdrawing the application I totally agree the only issue i guess is that we did the application together (two application forms but one case reference with home office) and I am not sure whether she can withdraw without me withdrawing as well. Do you think we are able to do so ?
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 4 years ago.
My best suggestion is to try and speak to them. It should be possible to withdraw one and not the other .

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.
  • John Knox's Avatar

    John Knox


    Satisfied Customers:

    solicitor with 8 years experience