Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

Hi, I am currently on my 2 years probationary period on

Customer Question

I am currently on my 2 years probationary period on an unmarried partnership visa and my partner is a UK national. I am due to apply for my ILR by june 2012 and am aware of all the documents and evidence that i need to provide in terms of showing atleast 6 proof of evidence showing the address for cohabition.

My first application for partnership visa went through smoothly without any hassle or interviews needed, so would like to know if the application for ILR would be any different, if sufficient evidence is provided, or to your knowledge, if there is anything else I should be expecting, or any other documents i should keep ready to strengthen my case for June 2012?

Also, my partner is employed in the public sector, and I wanted to find out whether the marital status information can be accessed or at any point be disclosed to current or prospective employers or is it just for the Home Office records and no one else has access to it?

Thanks in advance.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
Hi
Thanks for your question.
To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following using the same numbering:-
1. Can you please list the set of documents you used to apply for your unmarried partners visa initially.
Kind regards.
Tom
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

1. Joint Tenancy agreement for 2 yrs

2. Utility bills in under each of our names seperately - water, electricity.

3. Council Tax bills - Joint names

4. Payslips - same address

5. Bank statements

Along with some written statements from friends and ourselves and correspondence over the years in the form of greeting cards and pictures.

Am i right to assume I could just stick to the formal proof of address in this occassion or would i need to provide more supporting evidence?

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

You’ve covered the eligibility criteria extremely well with all of that supporting documentation, I wish my clients were half as organised. Yes., those will be sufficient provided that you have those records going back for the period for which you are using to claim ILR on the basis of being an unmarried and cohabiting partner (ie. greater than two years).

If you/your partner and others are preparing to submit statements then I would ask that they execute these in the form of statutory declarations, these carry more weight than simply letters. Correspondence also helps but the most important is the documentary evidence you have already listed. Organisation is important for a swift approval, so make sure the documents are well collated, indexed and paginated. You should be fine.

The Freedom of Information act affords persons the right to ask public bodies any question they choose, and the public body and unless there is a good reasons to withhold the public body would disclose. Whilst a permitted question could be “what percentage of your workforce is married” may be answered anonymously, a request as to whether Mr John Doe is married would not be answered, so you’re fine there too.
If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Tom
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for this Tom, very helpful but could you just elaborate on 'statutory declarations' as i dont know what htat quite means?

and on the basis of getting my probationary visa approved already and having submitted all previous evidence, in your opinion, do I need to stress much on the personal statements and correspondences or providing the proof of evidence as outlined by UKBA guidance should be sufficient?

Thanks again for your time.

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

A statutory declaration is a statement sworn under the the Statutory Declarations Act 1835. It's like a affidavit. A statement is simply something anyone says or writes, you and I are making statements in this thread. A stat dec carries a lot more weight.

The guidance on the documentation is merely suggestions and is usually sufficient, but the more documetnary evidence you provide the more likely you are to receive an approval of your application.

Kind regards,

Tom
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
And to get this done i need to go through a lawyer?
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

You would need to have the statutory declarations sworn for you by a solicitor (cost £7.00) and it would be best for them to draft it for your aswell (cost £50.00 per stat dec, but if you are doing multiples then you can probably bring this price down to an "all-in" price).

If you draft the stat decs yourselves you would only need to get them sworn by a solicitor.

Kind regards,

Tom
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
If you wish for me to provide you with a template for a stat dec then I am happy to do so if you post another question to the board requesting me.

You would obviously have to input the detail (name, address, statement of what they are actually saying) in afterwards

Tom
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I can do that. Thanks Tom.
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
Ok.

Just request me and mark your question "FAO Tom"

Tom
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I asked one directed to you under your profile - does that help?
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Yes, that's great.

I have provided the template on that thread and should be grateful if you would click accept.

Kind regards,

Tom