How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7600
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I live in Australia & Im an British Citizen, Im engaged

This answer was rated:

I live in Australia & Im an British Citizen, Im engaged to be married to an Algerian man living in Algeria, we would like to know if its possible for us to enter the UK to get married?, if so, could you recommend a Lawyer or a agent that can help us with my fiance visa process??
Kind regards
Tammy (Perth, Australia)
Thanks for your question.
To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following using the same numbering:-
1. Where would you both settle (ie. live) as a married couple after you have married in the UK
Kind regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.



No we do not wish to live in the UK after we are married, I will return to Australia & he will return to Algeria, I will then apply for a Australian Spouse visa for him as we both want to live Australia.



Hi Tammy,

Thanks for your reply.

A Fiance visa application would not be appropriate in these circumstances. This is for persons who wish to come to the UK to marry and then settle here thereafter on a spouse’s visa (ie. settlement).

If it is the case that you are simply coming here to marry and then leave then he will need to apply for a “marriage visitor” visa. This is a visitor’s visa specifically for the purpose of non-UK/eea nationals who wish to come here to marry and then leave the UK.

He will have to make the application to the British Embassy in Tunisia and will need to submit UKBA Form VAF1F to them. This is downloadable from the UKBA visa services website, as are the accompanying guidance notes for all VAF applications (ie. visitor’s applications/).

The length of the visa will be for 6 months. He must leave before the expiry of this. He will need to show evidence of your intention to marry (ge. Evidence of engagement, correspondence showing evidence of your relationship, booking of a venue (eg registry office), statements from you both and possibly wedding invites.

Obviously once you are in the UK you will have to give notice of your marriage before you can actually marry and I attach a link regarding the procedural registry requirements in respect of this:-

You will probably have to link onwards to the DirectGov site on the above link.
If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.



There is another coupple of question's I have, there is a British Embassy in Algeirs not far from where my fiance lives, is Tunisia a better option for him to apply for a visa ??


Also I dont know how difficult it will be but me & my fiancee have not met in person we talk daily online & by phone & have done this for nearly 1 year, so Im not sure how we will provide evidence of our relationship ?? my family & friends understand we want to marry & so does his family & friends.




Hi Tammy,

I should think that he should apply to the main British Embassy in the country he is in. He must have leave to remain in the country from which he is applying and it should also be where he is permanently based so I think it would be less complicated to submit it in Algeria.

Evidence of your relationship would be such things as evidence of your calls you have made onlline, evidence of your phone records, evidence emails you have sent to eachother, basically any form of documentary evidence which backs up the fact that you are in a relationship together. The more evidence, the more convincing.

If there is a reason why you have not met in person then you need to explain it in your respective statements giving as much detail as possibly.

You have to try and show them that he has continuing obligations in Algeria which will continue after the visit and therefore convince them that he is not a risk of overstay. Things like a letter from his employer stating he has a job (if he does) and is expected to return to continue that job, return flight tickets, evidence of continuing accommodation (eg. tenancy agreement of evidence of ownership of a property, bank statements showing the money he has available.

Trust this clarifies, please click accept.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions