How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7406
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can help me about my Visa pls I am on poststudy Visa which

Customer Question

Can help me about my Visa pls?
I am on poststudy Visa which will run out in November 2, 2011. I have been in the country for 5years 8 months now. I have my college and University education here in the UK. My highest qualification is BEng in Electronics Engineering.Currently, I am working as Electronic Engineer at a telecommunication company, and my annual salary is 15700 pounds.

Just now, I am about to start voluntary work as a STEM ambassador for secondary schools. Volunteering as a STEM Ambassador is your chance to promote your skills to young learners, actively encourage them to enjoy STEM subjects, and inform them about the unique career opportunities that are available to them.
Also, I married with kid here in the UK. I also have a sick mother in my country which depend on me.

In nutshell, to renew my visa is an issue just now. I will be glad if you suggest what i can do to get the visa renewed?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.


Thanks for your question.

To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following using the same numbering:-

  • 1. When did you first obtain your PSW visa
  • 2. Have you extended you first PSW visa

Kind regards.


Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your response.
I obtained my first post study visa on 2nd nov,2009 and have not extend it because psw is not extendable.

However,for further information, I got my first student visa on 17 Nov, 2005. I got into the Country Dec 10, 2005. I had been renewing till i got psw visa

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

The position of the UKBA is that you are permitted to switch in to the other available Tier 1 categories but these no longer include Tier 1 General since the recent tightening of the rules. This means that you can switch to either Investor/Entrepreneur (but must have access to significant funds) or to exceptional talent ( - for which there are very limited places available).

Most PSW migrants are therefore now applying to switch to Tier 2 Sponsored Skilled Workers Category.

you will have to see if there is a job that you could do in the UK on the shortage occupation list:-
You would have to then secure a job offer from a UK employer who is or would become a licensed sponsor of skilled migrants:-
If your job is not on that list then your employer/sponsor will have to confirm that they have carried out a the Resident Labour Market Test. This test is effectively to show that there are no resident/eea national in the locality that can perform your role.
Parents of Tier 2 migrants are not classed as “dependents” for the purpose of Tier 2 applications so you would either be looking at extending whatever visa status she is on, or herself making an application for ILR (if applicable).

If you are married to a UK national, person with ILR or EEA member state national please let me know and I may revised my advice.

If they are willing to sponsor then you will also have to meet the requisite number of points under the Tier 2 points based system:-

You will see at the top right hand side there is an option to use their calculator to work out how many points you are eligible for.

There is lots of information on Tier 2 Sponsored Skilled Workers visas here:-

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
not satisfy with quention answered.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
not satisfy with quention answered.My mother is not here in the UK and she not ready to come to the UK. I am only looking forward to renew my visa on humanitarian ground. So that i can continue to help her finacialy. Also. I am a Mentor to secondary school puupil. Working volutarily as STEM ambassador. I think all this will HElp?
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

If you are to continue in your paid employement then you need to see if they would be willing to sponsor you as a Tier 2 Sponsored Skilled Worker. At the same time you need to see if your job qualifies under the Jobs IN Shortage Occupation list (above) or if it cannot be filled by the existing resident labour force (above again). If you are eligible having calculated your points then you can apply to switch to this category from your PSW Visa.

If you cannot switch to Tier 2 then the only option if you are not in a relationship with a UK citizen, person with ILR or EEA member state national AND you can't switch to being a dependent of whatever visa status they are on would be to make a discretionary application outside of the immigration rules based on your charitable work for STEM. For this to be successful you would probably have to do it full time though.

Generally, only people holding ILR or UK citizenship can apply to have their parents come here. Even then it must be shown that the parent is wholly/mainly financially dependent upon the child in the UK and there must also not be anyone in their own country that can care for them. As you are not settled (ie. you are not free of immigration time restrictions) then she would not be able to make an application to come here.

What nationality is your spouses?

What nationality are your children?

Please click accept. ,I will continue to answer your questions.

Kind regards,

Thomas, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 7406
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My spouses is a Nigerian and my child was born here in the UK. The child need some medical attention.

If i may ask, on what ground can i ILR in my case.
thanks for your time

Best Regards,

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

When was the child born?

What is the immigration status of your spouse?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The child was born on 25 Nov, 2010, and my spouse has a dependant visa

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
I'm afraid that if your spouse is your dependent then this does not change the advice above.

If your child requires medical attention that you could not get in your home country then this could be utilised as a further argument in a discretionary application if you cannot make a Tier 2 application but I would certainly investigate the possibility of obtianing a tier 2 visa first because discretionary applications are much harder.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Tom,

I will be glad if you could help investigate the possibility of the tier2, because my mother is seriously sick and if i can't afford to take good care of her now, she might die soon.
what i am trying to say is that if i go back to my country now, i might find it difficult to take of her and my child condition.
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
Hi Tunde,

My above answer shows you how to investigate the possibility of obtaining a Tier 2 visa. You will have to read up on the links above.

If your mother is in another country then she would not be able to apply as a dependent of your on your tier 2 visa though.

If you go back to your home country then, again, you would be looking at making a Tier 2 application out of country if your psw visa expires in the meantime.

I cannot accept private instructions from you because the terms of the site prohibit it I regret to say.

Kind regards and good luck.


JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.