How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7600
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I wish to go to China and marry a chinese lady. Then bring

This answer was rated:

I wish to go to China and marry a chinese lady. Then bring her back to UK as my wife. Can you please advise as to what documentationis required and what the chances of bringing her to UK are.
I am 67 years of age and live on state pension, pension credit and DLA.
Your help would be appreciated
Many thanks
D. Levett

Thanks for your question.

Would your wife be able to work and/or does she have other assets or income that she would be able to live off here to support herself?

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
She is a qualified nurse in China and is working in state hospital, She wishes to continue working in the UK. She can speak English and at times translates for doctors in China
Hi Mr Levett,

Thanks for your reply.

She will need to apply for a spouses visa (ie. Settlement)

If the application is well prepared and you meet the following eligibility criteria then it may make the application easy and quick to decide upon for the UKBA. To be eligible, you must show:-

• 1. That you are legally married to each other (marriage certificate)
• 2. You are present and settled in the UK (eg. Passport, proof of accommodation)
• 3. You intend to live permanently together here in the UK as husband and wife (statements, evidence of her (statements, correspondence(
• 4. You can support each other without the need for public funds (bank statements, evidence of income, evidence of available jobs in the area which she could do and earn an income from)
• 5. You have suitable accommodation which is owned or lived in only by you or your household and where you and your dependents can live without any help from public funds (tenancy agreement, land registry docs if you your own home)
• 6. That neither of you are younger than 21 years of age. (birth certificates, passports)
The application will have to be supported by evidence proving the above eligibility criteria. I have suggested basic documents above, but the list is not exhaustive.

The above is taken to meant that no more benefits than you already claim will be claimed as a result of her coming her to settle. That you are already in receipt of benefits does not, in and of itself, mean that you won’t be successful but the onus will be on proving that she has assets/income and will be able to earn from a job she would get here to provide an income so that no further benefits are require.

She will also have to pass and English language test showing she has a basic command of spoken and listening English. You can contact the UKBA for details of test centres in her area, there will be a few.

She will need to apply for settlement (ie. spouses visa) by using form VAF4 Settlement, available for download from UKBA's website along with guidance notes that suggest documents to send with her application. It would be best for either a solicitor in the UK to prepare it in consultation with both you and your wife before submitting it to ensure the best possible chance of success upon determination by the UKBA.

You can find Uk immigration solicitors through the following Law Society Website search engine:-

The visa will be granted for a period of 27 months. You husband can apply for indefinite leave to remain once he has been here for 24 months. 12 months later he can apply to be naturalised as a UK citizen provided he has not spent a lot of time outside the UK during the 36 months total.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions