Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

Hi, My wife is canadian citizen and she is on Visit Visa in

Hi, My wife is canadian citizen and she is on Visit Visa in UK. I currently hold Tier-1 Visa (Post Study) which is valid for more than 1 year. Can I apply for her Tier-1 Dependent visa while she is in UK?

Thanks for your question.

I’m afraid not, no. It is a condition of her visitor’s visa that she must return home before the expiry of the visa. If she were to attempt to apply as your dependent then she would be in breach of this condition.

The UKBA would also view the obtaining of her visitor’s visa as a form of deception. Deception is taken very seriously and the UKBA would almost certainly use this as a reason to refuse any subsequent dependent visa application she would make from her home country.

She will have to return home to make the application> There is nothing preventing her from seeing a solicitor in the UK about preparing her out-of-country dependent visa application so that she can submit it straight away to the UK embassy when she returns and therefore give her the best possible chance of a swift approval.

I am sorry it could not be better news.
If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,