Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

As a follow up Ideally I would like my girlfriend to come

As a follow up: Ideally I would like my girlfriend to come here first on a tourist visa - to see where I live etc. Is it likely that she could do this?
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Yes, it is but i'm out and on my phone now.

May give you a full answer tomorrow please?

Kind regards
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

She can apply for a visitor's visa, but you will have to satisfy the UKBA that she will not seek to secure a permanent stay here whilst visiting and will instead return home at the end of the vist.

The eligibility criteria for a visitor's visa is as follow (as I am sure you know), is that you need to show that:-

• Youwant to visit the UK for no more than six months;
  • You intend to leave the UK at the end of your visit;
  • You have enough money to support yourself during your stay in the UK without working or needing help from public funds

You have to try and show them that she has continuing obligations in China which will continue after the visit and therefore convince them that he is not a risk of overstay because she at present has compelling family and social/work ties to China which mean that she will not attempt to secure a permanent stay here whilst she is visiting. Things like a letter from his employer stating she has a job (if he does) and is expected to return to continue that job, return flight tickets, evidence of continuing accommodation (eg. tenancy agreement of evidence of ownership of a property), bank statements showing the money she has available, letters from relatives/friends confirming any obligations she has to them.

If you will assist her during the intended stay you should go to a local solicitor to draft a sponsorship declaration in which you state the terms of the visit, that you are to return at the end of it, that although you are in a relationship with her you both know that she MUST leave at the end of the visit because it would harm the chances of any future application made to secure leave to remain on the basis of that relationship, that you shall accommodate you and shall pay the costs of any unforeseen expenses that should occur during his stay so that nether of you will need to access public funds.

This should cost around £50+vat and you can find immigration solicitors via:-

The UKBA are suspicious of one party to a couple visiting the other party in the UK because of the huge problem with overstayers he so you have to give them as much documentary evidence as you can that indicates that her life remains back in China for the time being and that there are verifiable reasons which will compel her to return.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,