Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

if i have an indefinate leave to remain ILR. can i take an

if i have an indefinate leave to remain ILR. can i take an employment oversees and can my children study abroad.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Hi

Thanks for your question.

To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following using the same numbering:-

• 1. How often would you be abroad on employment, what are the terms offered
  • 2. Would any of your close family remain in the UK
  • 3. Are you to apply for naturalisation as a UK citizen before you go

Kind regards.

Tom

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

1. most of the year. i will be working for the main office in dubai but i will spend all holidays in the U.K.

2. yes

3. no

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question

If you spend more than 2 years outside the UK your ILR will certainly be revoked. However, you could apply for a Returning Residents visa if you can show strong family ties in the UK so that you can re-enter

Up to the end of that two year period the UKBA has a discretionary power to revoke your ILR. This generally is only exercise if a person spends between 3-6 months or over outside the UK in any one period, but provided you can show that your permanent life remains in the UK then they will usually not exercise their power to revoke

Provided you come back to the UK every three months you should be fine in this regard. Regarding your children studying abroad you would have to check with each individual country in which they are to study. If your children are minors then their status in the UK stems from you, so if you are fine then so are they

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Tom