CharlotteSJ
CharlotteSJ, Immigration Solicitor
Experience:  I have 6 years experience in Immigration law and I am accredited to LSC Level 2 and OISC Level 3.
32200768

I currently have a student visa that expires at the end of

I currently have a student visa that expires at the end of the month. I have just sent off the extension paperwork this week, but am unsure of how long it will take to process. If it takes longer than the time remaining on my visa, will I get in trouble? Additionally, if I need to travel home and back again - will this be possible?
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  CharlotteSJ replied 5 years ago.
As long as you have proof that you sent your application and therefore that it has been delivered to the Home Office then you will not get in trouble. The important date is the one that you submitted your application on. Providing this was before the expiry of your visa then it doesn't matter how long it takes the Home Office to make a decision. Your current leave is extended by virtue of Section 3C of the Immigration Act 1971. This states that your existing leave will continue and you will be entitled to so all the things that you are currently allowed to do under the terms of your existing visa until a decision is made. If your application is refused, you will also get a right of appeal. Unfortunately I can't tell you how long it will take to process as that is up to the Home Office. Sometime you can get a decision back in a few weeks, other times it takes months. The Home Office will not give you an update until your application has been outstanding for 14 weeks. It depends on how busy they are.

Unfortunately you will not be able to travel home while your application is outstanding as the Home Office will keep your passport until they make a decision and they will deem any request for it's return as a withdrawal of your application.