CharlotteSJ, Immigration Solicitor
Experience:  I have 6 years experience in Immigration law and I am accredited to LSC Level 2 and OISC Level 3.

An unaccompanied minor under 18 with ILR (Refugee) want to

An unaccompanied minor under 18 with ILR (Refugee) want to apply British Citizenship which form does she needs to fill or do she have to wait untill she is 18. Born in Somalia mum and dad not british and out side the country
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  CharlotteSJ replied 5 years ago.
As they are under 18 years old, they can register as a British citizen by using form MN1

As neither of the parents are British and she was not born in the UK, you will need to apply under S3(1) of the British Nationality Act. This is basically a catch all category where you give the Home Office your reasons for why it is in the child's best interests to be British and they will decide whether they agree. It is not guaranteed but if you can show that the child has been granted ILR, that she intends to make the UK her future home and that her parents are not in her life at the moment due to them being out of the country then it is likely that she would be granted it.