Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

I would like to bring my girlfriend over from Cyprus to stay

I would like to bring my girlfriend over from Cyprus to stay in England with me for a few weeks. She is Vietnemese but presently lives in Cyprus on a work permit /visa that she obtained to enable her to work in Cyprus for 4years.Is she committed to staying in Cyprus or can she come to England? Would she have to apply to enter England? Would she have to apply to stay in England if we decided to get married?
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Hi
Thanks for your question.
To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-
1. Are you asking
a. About an initial visit with her returning to Cyprus
b. Or are you asking about how to apply for her to come here to settle with your permanently.
c. Or both.
Kind regards.
Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi

I am only intending in the first instance for her to stay for a few weeks (2 or 3) and then return to Cyprus but if we get on really well I would like to know how I could apply for her to come and live with me in England . Would we need to get married?

Kind regards

Joe

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your reply.

VISIT
She needs to apply for a visitor’s visa.

The eligibility criteria for a visitor's visa is as follow, is that you need to show that:-
• You want to visit the UK for no more than six months;
• You intend to leave the UK at the end of your visit;
• You have enough money to support yourself during your stay in the UK without working or needing help from public funds

You have to try and show them that she has continuing obligations in Turkey which will continue after the visit and therefore convince them that she is not a risk of overstay. Things like a letter from his employer stating she has a job (if she does) and is expected to return to continue that job, return flight tickets, evidence of continuing accommodation (eg. tenancy agreement of evidence of ownership of a property, bank statements showing the money she has available. It’s very important to include as much documentary evidence as you can that shows her obligations out of the country because they will be suspicious that the real reason she wishes to come is to settle here permanently with you.

She must also include evidence that she has the right to remain in Cyprus, so a copy of her visa for this.

If you will assist her during the intended stay you should ask them to go to a local solicitor to draft a sponsorship declaration in which you state the terms of hes visit, that you are to return at the end of it, that (importantly) though you are in a relationship with her you know that she must and will leave at the end of the visit because it would harm the chances of any future application made to secure leave to remain on the basis of that relationship, that you shall accommodate you and shall pay the costs of any unforeseen expenses that should occur during her stay so that nether of you will need to access public funds.

This should cost around £50+vat and you can find immigration solicitors via:-
http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/choosingandusing/findasolicitor.law
.
Permanent Settlement
You can either marry in Cyprus (or another country where she has leave to remain) and then apply directly for a spouses visa. Once application, one application fee.

Alternatively, she can apply for a fiance visa so that she can come here specifically for the purpose of marrying him. Once married she would then have to apply for a spouses visa (settlement). Two applications, two application fees.

The eligibility criteria is largely similar for both applications.The advantage is that if your fiance visa is refused then you are not married. If you marry and you spouses visa application is refused initially and then on appeal then you are stuck being married but in different countries.

Here is the criteria you would need to fulfill for a fiance visa, as I say the criteria is largely the same for a spouses visa. If you meet this you will almost certainly not be refused a spouses visa:-

• You plan to marry within 6 months of her arriving here (egg. statements from you and others, possibly a booking of a church/venue)
• You plan to live permanently together here (statements, correspondence)
• You have met each other before (eg. statements from you both and others, correspondence)
• You can support each other without the need for public funds (bank statements, evidence of income, evidence of jobs available that your husband could do)
• You have suitable accommodation which is owned or lived in only by you or your household and where you and your dependents can live without any help from public funds (tenancy agreement, land registry docs if you your own home)
• That neither of you are younger than 21 years of age. (birth certificates, passports)
The application will have to be supported by evidence proving the above eligibility criteria. I have suggested basic documents above, but the list is not exhaustive. They key to a successful application is producing well-collated documentary evidence for the above criteria.

She will also have to pass and english language test showing she has a basic command of spoken and listening English. She can find out approved test providers in his area by contacting the UK embassy nearest to her.

You will need to apply for fiance/spouses visa using form VAF4 which is available for download from the UKBA website

You should consider instructing a immigration solicitor based here in the UK to prepare an application for her (whichever way you decide to do it). You can find local solicitors via:-

It should cost around £1000-1500+ VAT.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Tom
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor